Current (Amps) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    I'm not sure what you're driving at. I would suspect that " KOEO" would likely mean one coil would be drawing current (getting hot), BUT I have never investigated this- just turning on ignition causes noticeable drop in battery voltage even with headlight off.
    If the headlight is off the majority of the drop is through the coils. It's easier to think of the coils being OFF when not in use but by default they are typically ON, when they are turned off is when spark occurs (you can't turn off something that is already off). Pulsing and inductive load don't matter when the engine is off as the points or igniter aren't switching the coils on and off - the load on the battery (amp draw) ends up being the resistive load of the coils, so 6 amps for two 4 ohm coils both on and charging.

Simply all the technicality doesn't matter, the bike will draw a load when things are on (key, headlight, turn signal). As long as your fuses aren't blowing it's all good. The math only works when you fully understand the system and how to compute all the values.

Comment

Working...
    X