Output Terminal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Output Terminal?

I just finished up my electrical wiring on the bike yesterday and when I hooked up the battery, I got nothing. Nothing works anywhere. I did some quick checks to make sure that battery is good. 13.3 Volts. I have a couple of questions though before I start trouble shooting everything.

1. What is an "Output Terminal"? I have a red wire going from the Starter Seloniod to a block with a 10 amp fuse that is then connected to ground and it is labelled "Output Terminal".

2. What should I read on the Ohm meter when I check my Starter Seloniod?

3. Posyplayer feel like coming to Maine and making things right in the world of my Electrical wiring?

Thanks I will provide more information this evening after I get a chance to do some troubleshooting. It was late when we hooked up the battery so I did not really do any good checks. But looking at the wiring diagram I was hoping to get these questions answered before I started.

Paul

Responses in BLUE

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
    1. What is an "Output Terminal"? I have a red wire going from the Starter Seloniod to a block with a 10 amp fuse that is then connected to ground and it is labelled "Output Terminal".
    OK, think of it as "Accessory Terminal". Connect anything you want, like heated clothing, battery charger terminal, cell phone charger, GPS, capuccino machine (oops, forget that one, you don't have a Wing )

2. What should I read on the Ohm meter when I check my Starter Seloniod?
    That depends on what you are touching and whether you are looking for ohms or volts.
    From the solenoid case to the battery negative terminal, you should see close to ZERO ohms.
    From one large terminal to the other, starter button NOT pushed, you should see INFINITE ohms.
    From one large terminal to the other, starter button PUSHED, you should see virtually ZERO ohms.
    If you move your multi-meter to the VOLTS position, one large terminal should be the same as battery positive terminal.
    The other large terminal should be the same as theh first one when the starter button is pushed.
    The small terminal with the soldered wire should have battery voltage when the starter button is pushed.

3. Posyplayer feel like coming to Maine and making things right in the world of my Electrical wiring?
    I will let Posplayr answer that one for himself.
    However, if I happen to make it up there, I would be happy to help.
    Currently (pardon the electrical pun), I am in Alabama.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't forget that there are two wires on positive battery terminal- big one goes to starter solenoid and a little guy (red) sends power to fuse panel; and make sure your negative battery cable is fastened to block.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

also remember you should never use an ohm meter on a system that is powered. So when the ohm meter is on the battery is disconnected.

The ohm meter basically has a small battery (typical 9V) that applies the small voltage across a portion of the circuit to see how much current will flow. The less resistance the more current flows and the more the needle will deflect (that is how an analog meter works anyway). If you try to measure ohms when there is a 12V battery already powered and in the system it will be a larger voltage and it could corrupt the ohm meter measurement.

You never have this problem when measuring volts or amps

Sorry, will only be able to telecommute to Maine this week.
        Last edited by posplayr; 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Well the only electrical mystery that I still currently have remaining is why my gear selector is only reading 4,5,6. This will be investigated more tomorrow. I do have a bad blinker on the back. I figured that out by cross wiring with the working blinker to ensure my wiring was good and it was.

Steve what has you down in Alabama anyways?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Don't forget that there are two wires on positive battery terminal- big one goes to starter solenoid and a little guy (red) sends power to fuse panel; ...
            And sometimes, that wire is reversed.

Yep, sometimes there is only ONE wire at the battery, the split to the fuse box comes off the starter solenoid.
            Electrically, it's the same thing.

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
            Steve what has you down in Alabama anyways?
            The same work that had me in New York and Vermont last summer.

Contract work, four-week minimum, no maximum, but I do get some "home" time occasionally.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Don't forget that there are two wires on positive battery terminal- big one goes to starter solenoid and a little guy (red) sends power to fuse panel; and make sure your negative battery cable is fastened to block.

Yes my drawing as Steve pointed out is split at the Solenoid (wow just realized how bad I have been spelling that word), so that is how I attached it.

Paul

Comment

Working...
              X