R/R help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R help

Hi All. before I start let me re-iterate that parts in South Africa are, A - hard to find, B - expensive, which is the reason for me wanting to complicate what should probably just be a simple fitting job. I have a newer model GS500e that is overcharging (17 odd volts with the headlight on). I have used all the ignition parts off my old GS450 including the R/R but it is wired directly from the stator to the R/R not through the headlight switch as I believe the 450 is wired? My question is this, since I an getting DC voltage at the battery I assume the rectifier part of the unit is working? So what is stopping me fitting a 12v automotive regulator to control the voltage? If it's possible or has been done before please could someone explain how. As I said before, if it was just a case of logging onto Bikebandit or nipping down to my nearest breakers yard I would. Thanks a million.

OEM parts might be hard to find, but can you find an aftermarket Shindengen MOSFET r/r? That's what I put on my GS550 and it works great.

Comment

Hi Bryan88, the guy to answer that question is Normk. I believe he has discussed this before. Try looking at his profile under Statistics, then threads started, or posts.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Simply installing an automotive regulator likely would not work.

For the last 50 years or so, automotive systems have had alternators in their charging systems. Their "magnets" are wire windings that have current going through them. The output of the alternator is regulated by varying the amount of current going through the windings, effectively controlling the strength of the "magnet". Our systems have fixed-strength permanent magnets, so there is no way to control them.

The only ways to regulate our voltage output are by shunting any excess to ground (the stock setup) or to momentarily disconnect the output from the system (the series regulator that some have switched to).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys, I may just have to bite the bullet. What I do find interesting is that the Honda R/R is recommended. Take a quick visit to VFRWorld.com to see hgow much trouble those things give!

Comment

Working...
          X