Open Barrel Crimping Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Barrel Crimping Tool

Hey guys, I picked up an open barrel crimping tool, the tool you need to make good connections with your OEM connectors. After looking around online I couldn't find one for less than about $35. Long story short I called a local electronics wholesaler here in town and found a pair for $13.95. They are not the ratcheting sets that you find online, but it looks like it will do the job for a lot less moo-lah. They also had the molex connectors (I know it is disappointing to many that I am using these, but I want it to be stock.) If they don't work I will replace them with something else. They could also source all of the wire I have in the harness. The moral of this story is if you can't find it for a "good" price looking in automotive venues, check out your local electronics wholesaler.

There's nothing wrong with those connectors IMO. Please let us know how you like those. The ratcheting style are real easy to work although there are times I need a gorilla group to get it to release.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Make sure you dont crimp it too tight. Those pliers will cut your wire. Note that the pins and sockets have two sets of crimp tangs. The tangs on the end are strain reliefs that go over the insulation. Thats sometimes hard to do with thicker automotive plastic insulation. Give it a good tug after crimping. Back it up with rosin core electrical solder.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

These work a bit better than the tool shown, short of an expensive ratcheting type, but don't shy away from this type of crimp, they are used because when properly done they are better than a solder joint. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0EZ6N3XJAG2VMM
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I have the ratcheting tool from Vintage Connections.. It's awesone!

I might also get the smaller ratchet crimper from Servo City for $20. It does small 24gauge pins.
          Sadly it's sold out allot.
          Welcome to ServoCity where you can get the parts you need to bring your ideas to life! From servos to switches, from actuators to Actobotics, we work hard to bring you the best components backed by unparalleled technical support

Comment

Right on all accounts fellas.

CBU - The ratchet would be easier to use and I will let you know how these connectors work. They went together well, but after looking at them closely they look like they would collect dirt easier than the stock connectors. I'll try to think of a way to remedy that.

BD - I figured out the two sets of crimp tangs. They all passed the tug.

OV - Yep. I just didn't mind using these when they were only $13. They seem to work just fine.

Comment

Working...
            X