Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced clutch springs now it wont start

im so ****ed off already with this **** of a bike

i layed it on its side to put clutch springs in...now it has no spark...does it have a sensor?

its an 81 850

You may have dislodged the clutch safety trigger switch under the left handlebar control switch, if there is still one there. There really isn't anything holding it in place, and if it is a loose fit, it may have rotated out of position when you tipped it over.

Does it turn over with the electric starter?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      You may have dislodged the clutch safety trigger switch under the left handlebar control switch, if there is still one there. There really isn't anything holding it in place, and if it is a loose fit, it may have rotated out of position when you tipped it over.

Does it turn over with the electric starter?
      yea turns over great

Comment

Time to dig into troubleshooting. You're getting power on the main fuse and it's turning over, but no spark.

Nothing at all on any plugs?

There are only three components: plugs, coils, and ignitor...All four plugs are not going to go out at the same time and both coils are not going to fail simultaneously just because you laid it on it's side.

So that leaves the ignitor...could a ground wire have come loose?
        '83 GS650G

Comment

That "**** of a bike" looks pretty nice!

Your problem is likely something simple, as BigD says, start checking sh!t.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            Time to dig into troubleshooting. You're getting power on the main fuse and it's turning over, but no spark.

Nothing at all on any plugs?

There are only three components: plugs, coils, and ignitor...All four plugs are not going to go out at the same time and both coils are not going to fail simultaneously just because you laid it on it's side.

So that leaves the ignitor...could a ground wire have come loose?
            ive dont tried troubleshooting...igniter does nothin...god for ****ing bid its bad..wheres the grounds on this bike

Comment

All of the ground wires should be B/W. I'm not familiar with the 850 wiring, so you're going to have to trace the wiring back. It really sounds like you've lost a connection along the way. There are a few bullet connectors that can work loose.

You've only been on the forum since January. Have you had a chance to go through the wiring yet?

I am by no means an expert in this area. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with specific directions for the 850.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

guess the igniter took a ****...everything is connected grounded....im gonna ignite it my damn self

how does this even happen..i rode it this mornin it ran fine lay it on its side a few hours later it wont start

Comment

Why the hell did you lay it on its side? I just put mine on the side stand, little or no oil comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                    Why the hell did you lay it on its side? I just put mine on the side stand, little or no oil comes out.

no clue...i hard wire igniter...some how its junk..i cant afford it...if someone local wants this bike it did run...400 cash come get it

Comment

Someone fVcking stole my cloud song!
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks of the simple things, kill switch on, prime the carbs, possibly deal with a flooded engine (WOT while cranking, NO choke).

Based on the OP past posts maybe someone else should do the wrenching if it isn't something you enjoy or know.

I agree with gearhead13, you don't lay the bike on it's side to do a clutch or ANY kind of maintenance/repair.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Too bad you're not closer to Seattle. I'd offer to help, or if you are really done, I'd buy it.

Comment

id rathe rnot be done with it...i just dump more money into it then ride it

ive been a mechanic for 6 years...i dont trust a soul with my stuff

most the people here are idiots...i have no freinds that wanna help cause i guess there to busyt whatchin tv or something

an like i said ive check everything, tore the harness apart..bypassed kill switched, there is no spark..the igniter is junk..it wont put power to coils...tested it last time the way i did today an it sparked

Comment

I'd recheck your fuses first, not visually either. Use a power test light and verify connectivity on both sides of each fuse. Then start checking for power at each of the points in between - kill switch, coils, ignition, plugs, etc.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X