Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs850 won't spark at contact breakers

Hey everybody,
    I just finished putting my bike back together after replacing the head gasket (so much fun) and I am not getting a spark at the contact breakers anymore. I was before I took the bike apart and the fuses appear to be fine. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated, I know I'm probably missing something, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment. Thanks ya'll.

Originally posted by ztucker86 View Post
    Hey everybody,
    I just finished putting my bike back together after replacing the head gasket (so much fun) and I am not getting a spark at the contact breakers anymore. I was before I took the bike apart and the fuses appear to be fine. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated, I know I'm probably missing something, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment. Thanks ya'll.
    That actually sounds good, sparking burns the points. The condensor restrains the spark from occurring over the points.

Comment

Do you have 12V at the points?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by ztucker86 View Post
        Hey everybody,
        ZT,

Welcome to GSR.

Points not really suppose to spark.

But to answer your question:

I suppose the starter solenoids pulls in (and starter runs), or you would have mentioned that, so we know the ignition fuse is okay, and kill switch is okay. Next thing in the circuit is/are the coils, then the points.

So, yah... you have volt meter? Check for votage at the org/wht wire at each coil, and at the wire comming into each point (check with point open).

If you are looking for one thing that would keep both from working, that would be the one power (org/wht wire) to both coils.

Also, try disconnectiong the condensor(s). If its bad it can make the ignition not work at all.
        Ignition can work with the condensor disconnected, but will arc and spark more acrost the points and they will burn out real fast.
        If ignition works with the condensor disconnected, but not work with condensior connected, then know the condensor bad.

Tell us more what you find.

Also, put your location in user profile.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 04-06-2012, 10:58 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X