No announcement yet.

1982 GS650 G - battery ground question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

d_sal, Posplayr IS an Electrical Engineer.
    That would be just like a Rocket Scientist working on a rocket.
    I would jump on the chance to have him look at your bike!

Eric

Comment

........And bring good quality tequila with you.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        ........And bring good quality tequila with you.

cg
        Did not know that.
        Note to self, stock the best Tequila just in case Jim comes over some day.

Eric

Comment

I've taken a look at some of the schematics, but the problem is that I need to learn how to read them. I look at the schematic and it looks simple enough. I go to the bike and it's a different story. I'm contemplating buying a harness on ebay just for reference.

On another note, here is a picture of where the suspected ground wire with the connector in the middle of it grounds to. You can see the RR grounded to the bolt on the right side of the photo as well. After reading around the forum, the RR ground will be rerouted to the negative battery terminal. As for the suspect wire, I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.

Up to now, nobody has commented on the amount of rust that was visible on battery box (previous photo). Is this worth cleaning, or should I start shopping on ebay?

Thanks,
          Daniel

P.S. TEQUILA HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN NOTED ON THE SHOPPING LIST - THE COSTCO SHOPPING LIST!

Comment

Originally posted by d_sal View Post
            I've taken a look at some of the schematics, but the problem is that I need to learn how to read them. I look at the schematic and it looks simple enough. I go to the bike and it's a different story. I'm contemplating buying a harness on ebay just for reference.

On another note, here is a picture of where the suspected ground wire with the connector in the middle of it grounds to. You can see the RR grounded to the bolt on the right side of the photo as well. After reading around the forum, the RR ground will be rerouted to the negative battery terminal. As for the suspect wire, I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.

Up to now, nobody has commented on the amount of rust that was visible on battery box (previous photo). Is this worth cleaning, or should I start shopping on ebay?

Thanks,
            Daniel

P.S. TEQUILA HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN NOTED ON THE SHOPPING LIST - THE COSTCO SHOPPING LIST!
            Clean rust and tarnish of all connections and grounds. My battery box was rusted like yours and I cleaned up, painted and reinstalled. Clean metal for a connection is what you want. Dielectric (something like that) grease will help prevent corrosion. I think Hornitos is the diagnostic aid your looking for.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

See figures attached an in the next two posts

I annotated the schematic and the pictures to show how it probably was from the factory. My recomendation for reattachment for a single point ground are as follows.
              Also while the ring lugs can can be clean, the main problem area is in the crimps of an of teh bulet or ringlug connectors. Those should be cleaned with an acid like Naval Jelly and them heated to get some solder to flow into the crimp. You fuse box should get the same treatment.

After everything is nice and clean, use the dialectic grease to keep the ground surfaces from oxidizing.

1.Attach A to the engine case

2. Move ac and d to the same mounting bolt on the side plate
              (This could be either on the left of right side bolts. The one where c is mounted would be fine )

3.Clean up the connector on b and then attach to a mounting bolt on the frame

4.To complete my recommendation, I would also add a single frame ground wire F with double ring lugs between the common single point in 2 above (ac and d and F ) and another frame attachment point
              Last edited by posplayr; 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Last edited by posplayr; 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Comment

Working...
                  X