Side stand safety switch modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side stand safety switch modification

A recent post referred to the lack of a side stand safety switch on the old GS bikes. If someone wished to incorporate such a feature, it is a simple modification to install a normally open relay operated by the indicator light circuit if the bike has the in the dash area.

A wiring diagram would be easy to work up if anyone wished.

My 1979 GS850G lacks the side stand light switch so would require the addition of a switch and mounting bracket.

Either installation would be a manageable project for anyone who desired this feature.

The subject of motorcycle features is an interesting one.

Norm

I did this a while back

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Great stuff, posplayr!

Glad I raised the point as someone may find that link to be useful. It is certainly a more comprehensive appreciation of the mofication than I am prepared to do.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
        Great stuff, posplayr!

Glad I raised the point as someone may find that link to be useful. It is certainly a more comprehensive appreciation of the mofication than I am prepared to do.
        Well it can be simplified. The design I provided was based on the sidestand switch that is already on my GS1100E. The GS1100E switch is ON (closed) DOWN so that it provides a ground for the dash warning light.

To implement your desired functionality, combine the existing switch with a coil relay modification (connect the switch to the relay solenoid ground). Pretty simple but if your dont already have a side stand switch you will need to weld a tab (or zip ties I guess ) to hold the switch on the frame.

EDITED: Actually I think I got it wrong, because of the polarity of the normal kickstand switch you need to have double relays (as shown) to perform the inversion. It is the sense of the kickstand switch that makes this a little more awkward than what you might expect. Maybe you can think of something more clever, but when I did the whole solution I found that to be an irreducible element of the design.
        Last edited by posplayr; 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Nice mod to bring the bikes up current to modern bike interlocks.

It's not for me though, the stock clutch interlock is good enough for me.

A mod I think is cool is a kawi starter headlight interrupt, the way it works is when you first turn the key on the headlight is off, it's also off during cranking, it comes on and latches on once the bike is started. Should the bike stall the headlight is still latched on until the key is turned off. I'm tempted to work on it but it's a very low priority and mostly unnoticed feature to devote time to ATM.

Comment

Working...
          X