coils,leads,- spark? size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coils,leads,- spark? size

hi guys well i stripped my cv carbys ,,,2 bowls were dirty,,, 2 were clean anyway the carbys are now soaking for a couple of days ,,, so yesterday i removed my ngkbes spark plugs ,,,sorry my bike is a 1980 gs1000E ,,,so i pulled the plugs out a couple were blackish so i cleaned all of them then rested them on the cyclinder head and kicked the motor over ,,,3-4 had a great spark i could nearly use them too read a book ,,, but 1&2 were a little faint but still sparking ,,,i,m not great on electrical but i,ll struggle thru.. please correct me where i,m wrong,,,, left coil goes to 1&3,,,, right coil goes too 2&4 ,,,,, if 1&2 are weakish spark /3&4 are really strong ,,, what could be happening please ....its a 1980 gs1000e,,,, somewhere in the forum i read where gsxr coils fitted ..... which model gsxr and do they bolt straight up to my bike??or do i have to mod ... regards oldgrumpy
    Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2012, 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling

First, one coil fires cylinders 1 & 4, the other 2 & 3. They may be located on either side of the frame, all that matters is the order.
    Second, if one side looked strong, the other should as well. The easiest test is to unscrew the plug caps, snip about 1/2" of plug wire off, and replace the caps. Test again. Also, a bad ground point can yield similar results.
    Edit: I meant if one side of the coil, say plug 4, then the other side of the same coil, plug 1, will show the same strength. If they are different, you may want to snip back about 1/2 inch of the plug wire to get into fresh copper. Not uncommon on this old of a bike.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X