Re: Running both headlight filaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running both headlight filaments

On my bike, I have noticed that I can find a spot on the headlight switch in between "high" and "low" that will illuminate both filaments at once. I like the additional light output and the additional beam pattern on the road that this nets me on poorly lit country roads.

Provided that my charging system can adequately handle the additional draw, are there any potential problems with running both filaments simultaneously?

Im not sure about the charging system question. but the wiring harness that I got with my 76 750 had a jumper wire to the headlight plug which Im led to believe thats what they were doing for high beams.

Comment

Hey eyah I have this same switch
      It would more than double the wattage of the bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
        Provided that my charging system can adequately handle the additional draw, are there any potential problems with running both filaments simultaneously?
        Besides the obvious problems possible with the charging system, please also consider the wiring in general, as you will almost be doubling the load on the headlight wiring AND the contacts in the left switch housing.

If you are doing this to get more light on the road, you would be far better off getting a new headlight with a better beam pattern and installing a quality CLEAR bulb, don't waste your money on anything that has a blue tint. If you still have the stock headlight, I believe that it is a "sealed beam" unit, and really should be upgraded to a quality H4 unit.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Back in dark ages, in an attempt to get better lighting, I ran both headlight filaments on my xl350 (magneto 6 volt system) simultaneously- fantastic for ten minutes, then extra heat blew bulb.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I've been doing this since the GSes were new, but only for a few seconds when I need to see a little better, have never done it continuously. Maybe when passing a car at night, or going over an area of broken pavement or whatever. Never had an electrical problem from doing it.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I've been doing this since the GSes were new, but only for a few seconds when I need to see a little better, have never done it continuously. Maybe when passing a car at night, or going over an area of broken pavement or whatever. Never had an electrical problem from doing it.
              I have highlighted the important parts.

Almost anything done for just a short time is not going to hurt anything.

The worst culprit is heat, either directly from the bulb, as tom203 mentioned or from overloading wires or switches.

Heat takes a bit of time to do its job.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is more or less how I have been using the "in between" "setting."

I am looking into a replacement bulb/lens assembly that will allow me to use bulbs instead of the sealed beam.

I've posted them in a thread before, but these are what I'm looking at. I have the 5-3/4" size assembly in my E30 and they work great, and the price point is superior too.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post

I've posted them in a thread before, but these are what I'm looking at.
                  Look for lights with a correct beam pattern for motorcycles.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Look for lights with a correct beam pattern for motorcycles.
                    Thanks for the heads-up, I would have forgotten about that...

Comment

a la:

Memotronics is your online source for lighting and industrial supplies. We stock over 2000 miniature, line-voltage and halogen bulbs for industrial, automotive, residential and commercial applications. Our automotive lighting selection includes vintage and hard-to-find bulbs for domestic and import cars, as well as a range of thermal, electronic and solid state flashers, including a range of turn sugnal flashers for aftermarket LED conversions

Comment

Working...
                      X