Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'81 450T-8 gauge wire, Battery & Starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 450T-8 gauge wire, Battery & Starter?

Rewiring my 81 450T. Is 8 gauge wire big enough for battery and starter? The factory looks almost to be 6 gauge. Thanks.

Not sure exactly what gauge it is, but 8 should be fine.

According to this chart, 6 gauge is good for 101 amps for chassis wiring, 8 gauge is good for 73 amps.

I have used an amp meter on larger bikes (850 and 1000) and only seen 50 amps draw on the starter wire.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know what gauge it was, but the only wire I could get that wasn't huge like they use on cars was rated at 50 amps continuous and it doesn't get hot while starting or anything like that.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Steve, Pete, thanks for the replys. I picked up 8 ga. 50 amp, oil and resistant wire. I picked up a $horai batttery that i'm mounting under the tail due to it's tiny size (4.45"W x 3.50"H x 2.28"D) I'm moving the electrics under the stock seat pretty much the same way Pete did it. Thanks for all the pics Pete.

Pete, did you have any grounding problems with the electrics under the seat? I'm grounding the reg/rec and igniter to the 22 ga. steel plate I made. I attached the plate to the frame using the same type of rubber lined pipe straps. Do I need to ground that plate to the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by thevillaindylan View Post
          Steve, Pete, thanks for the replys. I picked up 8 ga. 50 amp, oil and resistant wire. I picked up a $horai batttery that i'm mounting under the tail due to it's tiny size (4.45"W x 3.50"H x 2.28"D) I'm moving the electrics under the stock seat pretty much the same way Pete did it. Thanks for all the pics Pete.

Pete, did you have any grounding problems with the electrics under the seat? I'm grounding the reg/rec and igniter to the 22 ga. steel plate I made. I attached the plate to the frame using the same type of rubber lined pipe straps. Do I need to ground that plate to the frame?
          Yup you sure do!

I have all my grounds going to the starter solenoid post as the solenoid case is the ground for it, and I have a wire straight from there to the frame. The rubber mounts will insulate the electrics tray from the frame so there will effectively be no ground if you don't run that wire.

I have a feeling I put a second one in directly to battery negative also, but I can't remember now... I'll try to remember to have a look tomorrow.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

There is a pic at the bottom of this post. From your R/R Solenoid mounting plate, you will need a ground wire to:
            1.) battery to plate
            2.) frame to plate
            3.) Harness ground to the plate.

In the figure I show 4 configurations that are essentially equal. I suggest mounting all the ring lugs to the same mount with dielectric grease.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the replys. Posplyr, thanks for the pic, this helps immensely.

Comment

Working...
              X