Being poactive with the Stator & R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being poactive with the Stator & R/R

I have my 1980 gs850 up and running pretty well. Now I can start looking at things that need to be done other than the immediate (get it running right) things. I plan on taking the 850 on a long road trip over 5 days within the next year. At this point I've had no trouble with the original charging system. However, do you think it would be in my best interest to replace the stator and R/R before embarking on a long trip? Common sense (at least mine) says I should replace them, but I'd like to hear from some more experienced gs trippers. I don't want to spend the money unless absolutely necessary. Thanks.

Scudder

Put it this way:

I haven't been to a GS rally where someone wasn't carrying a spare stator, R/R and possibly a cover gasket (I've carried all three on various trips)

Even if yours are good, two things;
    One, take care NOw of all of the connectors and such making sure they're clean and tight and in good order
    Two, its never a bad idea to carry a spare....

Comment

Thanks. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Now... do you have any recommendations for both a stator and R/R. I've seen several on ebay, but I'd like to know what you all use.

Scudder

Comment

I'd replace the R/R with a Honda unit and put a brand new stator in. Take your stock stuff and a gasket when you go on your trip, but the chances of needing it are realllly low.

Comment

Most important thing is to rewire the charging system such that the stator feeds directly into the R/R, bypassing the crazy OEM wiring which sent one stator leg up to the head lamp switch. Also important is to reinforce your R/R ground scheme. Last thing is to consider upgrading your R/R to something more robust. I wouldn't change the stator if it's still working. Adding a system monitor wouldn't be a bad idea either, at least then you would know if a problem has occurred before your battery is dead leaving you stranded.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If your charging system passes the test in the Stator Papers, clean and protect (dielectric grease) all your charging system connectors and all the grounds. Run a fused (15A) wire directly from the stator output to the battery's positive terminal to bypass a potentially problem splice in the harness. No need to replace parts that are working well. It will be fine for a 5 day trip, unless you spend it continuously above 6000rpm, all day long. Sustained high rpm days will eventually cook a stator, unless you have a series regulator. Look into Posplayer's posts on them. The Cycle Electric regulator he found mounts pretty easily under your battery box, and cannot fry a stator. The worst it will do is stop charging due to dirty connections. It costs roughly as much a spare stator and Honda r/r set. That said, clean charging connections, good wires, and a healthy charging system should be plenty reliable.

People carry spares to rallies because people inevitably leave for a rally without making sure the charging system is solid. They're the ones who had spares for me. Don't forget spare clutch and throttle cables...
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi,

Clean connections and grounds are VERY important in charging system health. (Ask me how I know.) I've tried most stators (Electrosport, RMStator) and Rick's Electrics is my favorite based on its quality construction. I am currently running a Caltric (eBay seller) stator which is well-constructed and is coming up on a year of use. Hopefully I have my charging system clean enough for this one to last for more than a year or two.

As for r/r units, rather than any OEM-style parts, the best recommendation is to use a more robust FET unit from THIS LIST. Thanks to Mr. Matchless for compiling the list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The stator from any year GS500 is compatible with the 1980+ GS850. This can be a cheap way to get a high-quality, recently-manufactured stator if you've got time to haunt fleaBay for a bit.

My GS850G is wearing a stator from a 2001 GS500.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  The stator from any year GS500 is compatible with the 1980+ GS850. This can be a cheap way to get a high-quality, recently-manufactured stator if you've got time to haunt fleaBay for a bit.

My GS850G is wearing a stator from a 2001 GS500.
                  Brian,
                  How did you figure this out? Is it as simple as comparing the part numbers between the two bikes or did you do something different?
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
                    I have my 1980 gs850 up and running pretty well. Now I can start looking at things that need to be done other than the immediate (get it running right) things. I plan on taking the 850 on a long road trip over 5 days within the next year. At this point I've had no trouble with the original charging system. However, do you think it would be in my best interest to replace the stator and R/R before embarking on a long trip? Common sense (at least mine) says I should replace them, but I'd like to hear from some more experienced gs trippers. I don't want to spend the money unless absolutely necessary. Thanks.

Scudder
                    no absolutely nessesary but worth the piece of mind

Either get a Honda or the SERIES R/R (Compufire of Cycle Electric)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      Brian,
                      How did you figure this out? Is it as simple as comparing the part numbers between the two bikes or did you do something different?
                      I used my x-ray vision, of course...

Nah, just look at the specs over on Electrosport -- they list some interchanges on their site:
                      New Electrosport Stators Direct Plug In Replacement, 1 year warranty, plug and play ESG014 Stator Suzuki GS450, GS500E, GS550E/ 550L, GS650E/ 650G, GS750E

Even this list is not complete, but you can see how this process works. I believe there are some Kawasakis that are compatible with this stator as well. They list a separate part number for the 2001+ GS500, but the only real difference is the connector.

The thing to realize is that there are lots of different connectors out there, but there are only a few types of stators used in Suzukis. Since you'll be replacing the original craptastic bullet connectors anyway, the connectors are irrelevant -- all that matters is the body of the stator -- dimensions and number of poles.

This site has a cross-reference as well, and they list dimensions. You have to double-check, though -- the 1979 GS850 uses a 12 pole stator, and so the 18 pole stator is not compatible. This bit of information on this particular web site is incorrect.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM.
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

One other note -- the same thing applies to starters as well -- if you spend some quality time with the listings over at http://stockers.com and then do some cross-referencing in the Suzuki fiches, you'll find that there are only a few basic types of GS starters.

Whether you get a two or four brush starter in your bike is somewhat random (they came from different suppliers), but most are interchangeable.

Last fall, after delving deep into the fiches, I installed a starter from a 1979 GS1000E ($30 shipped on Fleabay) into a 1982 GS850...
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

After I read the stator papers I came away with the understanding that there is a cure for the infamous GS charging system. After checking my charging system it is still working correctly with the original stator and r/r. I thought that if I replaced the stock r/r with a new and improved r/r while I still have no problems that it would prevent any and all future problems with the charging system. Can your still smoke a stator or r/r even with good connections and a non-retarded r/r?

Also if I don't change any of the original charging system parts is it guaranteed to eventually fail?

Comment

I'd just buy a quality R/R.
                            (maybe a stator if it's starting to look beat up)

A stator is just copper windings, nothing complicated.
                            A R/R contains diodes and crap that can fail easily, in my opinion.

The r/r is just more likely to fail and cause all kinds of problems, in my experiences.

Comment

I like to hard wire the four main R/R leads using solder and shrink. Also make sure, if your R/R is grounded the stock way, that you run a ground jumper from the starter solenoid ground to the battery. Overheated connectors are not your friend.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X