• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, yeah, ill be inspecting it when the bike is back on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
      well, yeah, ill be inspecting it when the bike is back on the road
      No worries, then - does it get hot in New Mexico still?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        I'd go for it- likely to be mosfet unit, which is a step up!
        thanks mate. gonna pick it up tomorrow evening. even if my RR works, this one will be better and I can keep my stock one for backup.

he has the GSXR one which has 5 wires, and a Kawasaki one with 6 wires. It seems from Cliff's r/r replacement guide that either one should work, with the 6 wire unit having a sense wire that I don't entirely understand but can probably figure out.
        Does either seem preferable? I think the Kawa unit is from an 88, so might be older and non-mosfet, as well as being 6 wires, so i'm inclined towards the Suzi...

Comment

No worries, then - does it get hot in New Mexico still?
          ow yeah, it gets hot allright... how is Maine? i used to leave in Readfield, ME for about 5 years. where in Maine are you?

Comment

Rick's RRs

I'd go for it- likely to be mosfet unit, which is a step up!
            What are thoughts on "Ricks Motorsports" RRs?
            Bikebandit has a sale and I can get one for $60 Link They're usually $105 but I have no idea if they're actually worth that kind of money.

or stick with the used GSXR craiglist one for $37? I'm inclined towards this but curious about opinions
            Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

ow yeah, it gets hot allright... how is Maine? i used to leave in Readfield, ME for about 5 years. where in Maine are you?
              I'm just west of Sebago Lake-was 82 degrees here on Monday-very strange!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
                What are thoughts on "Ricks Motorsports" RRs?
                Bikebandit has a sale and I can get one for $60 Link They're usually $105 but I have no idea if they're actually worth that kind of money.

or stick with the used GSXR craiglist one for $37? I'm inclined towards this but curious about opinions
                Folks here seem to like Rick's- and that's a good price for a R/R with warranty. Me, I like old stuff !
                1981 gs650L

Comment

To answer the question about the holes being 3mm further apart, he is referring to the spacing of the R/R being out by that much to the stock nut holes. You will need to enlarge the holes on the R/R to compensate. I used a "grind stone" fitted to my dremel tool.

I've heard good and bad on the Rick's ( but mostly good), however, being "frugal" I'd likely opt for the cheaper used if it is the Mosfet type. If not, I think I'd still rather have a Shindengen off a Honda. They just seem better built and mose substantial than the Zuk ones.
                  My 2 cents

Good luck,
                  spyug

Comment

determining Mosfet

thanks dudes. still sifting through all the info.

it seems like most Mosfet RRs i was able to find reference to come off of recent bikes, like post 2000. The GSXR RR i found on craigslist is from a late 90's bike. I'm guessing it's not Mosfet. Seem like a safe bet? I can go look at it to see if it's marked - I read that the FH marking means Mosfet and the SH prefix means shunt.

BikeBandit says the Ricks RR is Mosfet, so I'll probalby drop the extra $20 to get that if this used one isn't

edit: ordered the one off bikebandit. $60 for a new Mosfet unit seems like a pretty good sale. hopefully the Rick's brand holds up.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

could be, as long as it works batter then a stock unit and lasts longer, i dont care who makes it.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/380394773272...84.m1439.l2649

These are good regulators. They have integrated circuits instead of SCRs and are rated at 18.5 Amps, far above the 8-10 amps a GS uses.

I recommend them as well as the SH-232 or Sh-532 regulators from the old days.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X