I have been expecting this!! 1980 GS1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been expecting this!! 1980 GS1000S

I knew the time would come when I needed to address the electrical system. I have dreaded this day, as I know it is very technical and will not be easy for me.

I replaced the battery last year with the fiberglass mat type and it stayed on trickle charger all year. It has worked fine this season for my short rides.

Yesterday I did about twelve miles and went to get an inspection sticker. When leaving, I noticed a little pause when I hit the start button. Rode another 10 miles or so back home, shut the bike off and it did not have enough juice to start up again.

Some of you may know that this bike was sitting in a basement untouched for 10 years before I picked it up last year. Other than a new battery, no electrical components are new.

Is there an obvious part swap that I can start with?

Originally posted by Vmass View Post

Is there an obvious part swap that I can start with?
    Dunno, what did the tests in the stator papers tell you?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Dunno, what did the tests in the stator papers tell you?
      I hope Dunno responds, I could use his help!

Comment

Dunno is reading those mysterious charging tests right now ,cuz he's tired of short rides.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

And I'm sure he's already cleaned all of his electrical connectors too.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi Vmass. I'm no electrical guru either.If you want to replace something the stator and r/r would be my first instinct,also as said clean connections,good grounds.Verify the battery is up to snuff even though its new.

The previous advice on the stator papers is correct as we know.
            http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
            1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

The only way to sort out a situation like this is to use the flow chart in the Stator Papers and determine where the problem lies. It is not difficult. Armed with a $10 digit multimeter, you should fairly quickly determine where the problems are.

It might help to clean all the contacts you can see first, especially from the stator to the R/R and those to the fuse block. Your problem might just be that simple but don't guess, check it out.

Let usknow what you find.

Good luck,
              Spyug

Comment

Working...
              X