Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to buy a new starter 82 GS850L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to buy a new starter 82 GS850L?

So where is the the best place to buy a new starter? Okay, started doing the required reading of posts/testing regarding my potentially failing starter [switch, solenoid etc.] Will do the required testing/looking over of the various components mentioned. Starter will drag/ not want to turn the bike over sometimes but at other times it's OK. with a fresh new battery. Have replaced stator/rectifier and cleaned up connections so I am ready to look at the starter itself. I remember seeing a post that spelled out the procedure and some sellers of starters but can't find it. Any help or link to that page would be appreciated. 1982 GS850L

Ok, you replaced stator and R/R, did you run some testing, just to be sure that you have decent charging?? If everything looks good, your starter motor might just need a good cleaning and maybe new brushes. Pull it out and investigate in case PO liked to torture it.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Starter

Got mine used on e-bay for 30 bucks. Works awesome, and the guy has a butload of parts, and guarantees his stuff to be functional. His seller id is c.me.trade. I just sent him a message with my part#, and I was good to go. He was very cool, and more importantly, reasonably priced.

Comment

Just honestly feel like swapping out a new/rebuilt one and be done with it. will do the checks as necessary as I said [installed new stator/rr] but will verify. So still wondering if there's a good place for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by RastaraL39 View Post
          Just honestly feel like swapping out a new/rebuilt one and be done with it. will do the checks as necessary as I said [installed new stator/rr] but will verify. So still wondering if there's a good place for a new one.
          You probably would collapse if you had to pay for brand new one; I bought a spare on ebay for $25 and I hope never to have to use it!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I took mine to an auto electric rebuild shop like I do with all my vehicle's starters. $95 later, and it is new with all new parts and clean as a whistle.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. RastaraL39,

If you just want a new/rebuilt unit, I guess Stockers or Rick's could fix you up. But it's not hard to clean up a starter and install new brushes in it. You'll find a GS850G party over at my little website. Please feel free to stop by and have a look around.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Checked the Stocker's and Rick's websites and got some good info there as far as brushes and rebuild kits. Not knowing much about starters themselves, is it usually the brushes that cause problems as far as dragging/not having enough torque to spin the motor? As I said before I replaced the stator/RR and have been through the bike fairly thoroughly.

Comment

By the way many thanks to BassCliff, thanks for your website- when I was tearing into the bike in the garage during the cold winter your site was a constant source of helpful info to get me through my project. Could not have done it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    You probably would collapse if you had to pay for brand new one; I bought a spare on ebay for $25 and I hope never to have to use it!
                    Check out Dennis Kirk .com.......They sell them for about $175.00
                    sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
                    82 1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                    X