No announcement yet.

stator output 13.8V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The regulator portion of the R/R keeps it in the 14.5 range max. Any higher and issues exist. I saw 16+ last night on someone's bike. That particular machine will not move until that is fixed. (I would have said rectified, but that seems redundant.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Weren't you the guy that said..

"They never add up, due to the way the stator and regulator are wired, the output from the stator will always be one of the three phases. "

When you measure the stator output across any two of its wires, you are measuring the combo output of the phases, not just one because they are interconnected - open circuit one phase and your stator output falls off, why not try it on your bike and explore science.
      I see what your getting at but without a neutral line your in the theoretical realm. The individual lines/phases can't be directly measured or used so calculating the sum of two individual lines is merely paperwork. The reality is you never see those individual waveforms on the output, you only see the sum as one of the three possible wire connections aka phases. The phases being AB, BC, and AC. Your focusing on A, B, and C as 3 single phases and that's where we differ.

Comment

The 138.5V ac max. volts used(calculated fromOhms Law)

Please explain where you got this number and how Ohm's law was involved????

Comment

Great find JayWB !!! The is no Ohms Law in the 3 phase generator circuit,save the wire/conductor resistance measured in ohm value.The 138.4-5 Vac is Max.voltage;not the effective or rms values as measured by multi-meter. Say the running gen.voltages, between phases A and B,B and C,and C and A are all at 80Vac. The Max.voltage exists:if we had osciliscope it would be evident showing the max. volt values.Don't have scope? Use sq.root of 3 (1.73) x 80Vac = 138.4-5Vac (max) also 138.4-5Vac divided by 1.73 = 80Vac(effective,rms,multi-meter values) Ohm's Law rules DC circuit calculations:in AC circuits w/resistance or AC impedence,there is relevence.Good eye,and thanks for reading and reply!

Comment

And just what does all of this have to do with the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ahhhhh, no. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, it's RMS * the square root of 2 (1.414) to calculate peak voltage for a sine wave, not the square root of 3 (1.73). So the Vpeak would be 80 * 1.414, or 113. But the peak voltage is of very little use to us. We care much more about the RMS value.

But I agree that there's no way to use Ohm's law for any of this. Where you got that from is still a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by elrico View Post
                Great find JayWB !!! The is no Ohms Law in the 3 phase generator circuit,save the wire/conductor resistance measured in ohm value.The 138.4-5 Vac is Max.voltage;not the effective or rms values as measured by multi-meter. Say the running gen.voltages, between phases A and B,B and C,and C and A are all at 80Vac. The Max.voltage exists:if we had osciliscope it would be evident showing the max. volt values.Don't have scope? Use sq.root of 3 (1.73) x 80Vac = 138.4-5Vac (max) also 138.4-5Vac divided by 1.73 = 80Vac(effective,rms,multi-meter values) Ohm's Law rules DC circuit calculations:in AC circuits w/resistance or AC impedence,there is relevence.Good eye,and thanks for reading and reply!
                ugg.............

if the manual; says measure 80 VAC between any two legs, then there is no more voltage whether it is Delta or Y wound. If you want to use sqrt(3), and if you have a Y wound stator then There is only 80/sqrt(3) volts across any single leg (to neutral). That is less volts not more.
                Last edited by posplayr; 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JayWB View Post
                  Ahhhhh, no. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, it's RMS * the square root of 2 (1.414) to calculate peak voltage for a sine wave, not the square root of 3 (1.73). So the Vpeak would be 80 * 1.414, or 113. But the peak voltage is of very little use to us. We care much more about the RMS value.

But I agree that there's no way to use Ohm's law for any of this. Where you got that from is still a mystery to me.
                  the ratio of sqrt(3) is the phase to phase voltage ratio between "Y" and "delta" wound stators. sqrt(3)=V_Y/V_delta
                  Last edited by posplayr; 04-27-2012, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    And just what does all of this have to do with the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
                    I have to ask........African or European?
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      the ratio of sqrt(3) is the phase to phase voltage ratio between "Y" and "delta" wound stators. sqrt(3)=V_Y/V_delta

Thank you. That makes far more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        It's also the inverse for current √3=A_Delta/A_Wye

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                          It's also the inverse for current √3=A_Delta/A_Wye
                          Yes it should be clarified that if you take the identical stator windings and the identical rotor (ignoring saturation effects) then you have two options to electrically connect the windings, either delta ( like a triangle) or Y (just like a y) and the power out will be the same but the phase to phase voltages and currents will vary between the two configurations as indicated. The sqrt 3 ratio applies regardless if you measure rms peak to peak or anything else as long as you are consistent.
                          Last edited by posplayr; 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X