On-board Voltmeter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On-board Voltmeter.

What do you use for a permanent voltmeter on your GS?

I've got this in mind, it does current as well.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 20V 30A DC Digital Red LED Panel Amp Volt Meter + Shunt at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20V-30A-DC-Di...item3a592e00d9
    I'm a wild child, I don't monitor volts on the bike.

That ebay item looks good aside from the fact it's coming from china, the price is in pounds, and it doesn't look waterproof. Not sure what your going to measure with a 30A ampmeter

Comment

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20V-30A-DC-Di...item3a592e00d9
      Not that bad a unit, as long as you have somewhere to mount it. You will either need a fairing with a flat panel large enough to mount it or find a box to hold it. Waterproofing it might also be a problem.

Measuring current might be handy, but there are three areas of meaningful current flow on the bike. Which one do you want to measure?

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
      That ebay item looks good aside from the fact it's coming from china, the price is in pounds, and it doesn't look waterproof. Not sure what your going to measure with a 30A ampmeter
      - Half of the stuff in the average American house comes from China.
      - It also give the current approximation in US$
      - 30 A is a good range for the GS, which has a max output of about 20-22 amps.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't run a volt meter, but I just put this on with my new dash to go with the Acewell:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for LED MOTORCYCLE / BIKE Battery level Alternator Charge monitor, monsoon proof at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

He says to add some sealant if it's exposed to moisture, but my dash has a piece of acrylic perspex over the top so that's not a concern for me:

I used a variable voltage source to test it before I installed it and according to both my multimeters it's accurate...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          - Half of the stuff in the average American house comes from China.
          - It also give the current approximation in US$
          - 30 A is a good range for the GS, which has a max output of about 20-22 amps.

That's nothing to be proud of but what I'm getting at is it's being shipped from china. Shipping fees and shipping times to get a cheap chinese voltmeter?

USD or CAN, it gave me CAN approx.

But what 30A max current are you going to install a shunt, 75mV voltage drop, resistor in series with to measure it's current? Not the battery I hope with the high starter current.

Comment

That's nothing to be proud of but what I'm getting at is it's being shipped from china. Shipping fees and shipping times to get a cheap chinese voltmeter?

USD or CAN, it gave me CAN approx.

But what 30A max current are you going to install a shunt, 75mV voltage drop, resistor in series with to measure it's current? Not the battery I hope with the high starter current.
            That one has free shipping. It might take 15 days to get it but that's ok.

It was that or the 20A version. I figured why not go a little higher because I can draw up to 24A with all accessories on.

I would use the shunt for the total draw after the battery and RR to see what the accessories draw one at a time and all together It was more of a bonus anyways.
            Last edited by Mekanix; 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM.
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Measuring current might be handy, but there are three areas of meaningful current flow on the bike. Which one do you want to measure?
              It was that or the 20A version. I figured why not go a little higher because I can draw up to 24A with all accessories on.

I would use the shunt for the total draw after the battery and RR to see what the accessories draw one at a time and all together It was more of a bonus anyways.
              The three areas I was mentioning do not include the starter draw. That has its own wire, so it's easy to avoid.

The output of the R/R (rectifier/regulator) joins the main harness between the battery and the ignition switch. The three legs of that "T" junction are possible locations for that meter.

1. On the output of the R/R, between R/R and the "T". This will tell you how much the charging system is putting out, but will never show a negative number, even if your R/R fails, so is virtually useless.
              2. Between the "T" and the ignition switch. This will always have current going in one direction, should show a draw (negative) on the ammeter. Amount of negativity will depend on how many accessories are turned on. Will never show a positive number.
              3. On the + lead of the battery. Before starting the bike, will show a discharge because the battery is supplying all the current for the bike. When the engine is running and the charging system is working, it will show how much current is charging the battery.

Personally, I would much rather have a voltmeter than an ammeter.
              If you think of electricity as "electrical fuel", then compare having a flow meter and a fuel gauge, you will have this: would you rather know that you are using your fuel at 2 gallons per hour or that you have 1/4 tank left? Yeah, it's nice to know both items, but that 2 gallons per hour will remain constant right up until your tank runs dry. There is no warning that you are approaching "empty". With the fuel gauge (voltmeter, in this case), you can get an idea how much longer you can go.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Voltmeter smoltmeter. Maintain your electrical system properly and forgetaboutit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

2. Between the "T" and the ignition switch. This will always have current going in one direction, should show a draw (negative) on the ammeter. Amount of negativity will depend on how many accessories are turned on. Will never show a positive number.
                  An ammeter that reads negative is wired backwards, draw or consumption should be positive. Only a flow reverse of normal should be negative.

Comment

An ammeter that reads negative is wired backwards, draw or consumption should be positive. Only a flow reverse of normal should be negative.
                    Back in the old days, when cars had ammeters, they showd "Charge" and "Discharge", so were probably wired in the battery leg.

Any polarity indicators would be relative to what you are looking for.

Current flowing from the source to the load is current, but it's not charging, so I would call it "negative", not "positive".

It's your bike, wire it any way you want, call it anything you like.

I have run with both, ammeters and voltmeters on the same vehicle several different times, I prefer to simplify things and run just a voltmeter now.
                    Gonna simplify things even more and step out of this thread now.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Back in the old days, when cars had ammeters, they showd "Charge" and "Discharge", so were probably wired in the battery leg.

Any polarity indicators would be relative to what you are looking for.

Current flowing from the source to the load is current, but it's not charging, so I would call it "negative", not "positive".

It's your bike, wire it any way you want, call it anything you like.

I have run with both, ammeters and voltmeters on the same vehicle several different times, I prefer to simplify things and run just a voltmeter now.
                      Gonna simplify things even more and step out of this thread now.

Your free to hookup a digital ammeter backwards or a analog charge/discharge ammeter but it wouldn't work for a analog multi-meter measuring current - the needle would peg below 0.

The only problem I have with your suggestion of hooking an ammeter between the source and load and having draw as negative is, in general, a load will never charge source so seeing negative numbers that never go positive looks odd. But hey if you want to read stuff backwards, your battery voltage is -12v and charges to ~-14v. Voltage drop would be positive. Your probably thinking doing that would be ludicrous, that's where I sit reading negative numbers on a current meter.

Comment

The only problem I have with your suggestion of hooking an ammeter between the source and load and having draw as negative is, in general, a load will never charge source so seeing negative numbers that never go positive looks odd. But hey if you want to read stuff backwards, your battery voltage is -12v and charges to ~-14v. Voltage drop would be positive. Your probably thinking doing that would be ludicrous, that's where I sit reading negative numbers on a current meter.
                        OK, I never suggested that as the ultimate location. I neglected to mention in my first post that location #3 would be my preferred location. That is, on the lead going to the battery + terminal. That would show you whether the alternator or the battery was supplying the current for the bike to run, and how much.

It is useful to see negative numbers if they really do mean that you are losing something, but hooking up a voltmeter backwards is simply ludicrous.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

OK, I never suggested that as the ultimate location. I neglected to mention in my first post that location #3 would be my preferred location. That is, on the lead going to the battery + terminal. That would show you whether the alternator or the battery was supplying the current for the bike to run, and how much.

It is useful to see negative numbers if they really do mean that you are losing something, but hooking up a voltmeter backwards is simply ludicrous.

As a charge meter in that situation it'd make sense else-wise it's looney. Ever try ohms law with negative numbers? You could end up with negative resistance, and to figure scientists are trying to find room temperature superconductors to achieve 0 ohms and here our 30 y/o GS's go beyond 0 ohm into the negatives.

Comment

Lol what have I started

You guys are hilarious

The first way I'm going to wire it is so that I can see the total load being drawing from the bike for the accessories with both the battery and charging system as the supply.

That way I can see what I can and can't run continuously.

Its final place will be connected to show the current from the RR to the battery.

Most of the time it will be in voltmeter mode. The ammeter was just a bonus.
                            Last edited by Mekanix; 04-26-2012, 02:43 AM.
                            Stephen.
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                            X