Rick's stator and RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick's stator and RR

Both arrived from Bike Bandit today. If I wire the stator direct to the RR I use the red to a fused link to the positive battery, The black to the neg, and the other 3 to the stator in any order? Can someone confirm please.

Better pic.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
      Both arrived from Bike Bandit today. If I wire the stator direct to the RR I use the red to a fused link to the positive battery, The black to the neg, and the other 3 to the stator in any order? Can someone confirm please.
      Yes, any order. Are you replacing a 12 pole stator with a 12 pole stator?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You wire the the red cable directly to the battery? Is that bypassing a more round-about trip through the wiring harness? what size in-line fuse do you use?
        Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I believe it is a 10 amp fuse and yes to all other questions. Thanks all.

Comment

Hi,

Use a 15amp fuse when wiring the r/r directly to the battery positive. Yes, the yellow r/r wires connect to the stator in any order.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I hope to jump in not to thread jack but to help and get help. I have the same deal here. The rr was wired the old way before, into the harness, I changed it so now the 3 rr wires go to the 3 stator wires. The black RR negative is wired to the neg battery post. Now, the red coming from the RR will get the inline fuse and go to the positive battery terminal?
              So what do I do with the three wires coming into the pic at the top from the harness? the red, white/green and white/red? Just cut them and tape them off?

The po put in new stator and rr, I know this info is all in on Cliffs page but I dont wanna mess up.

Comment

I'd tape up and bury the white/green and white/red wire - likely went to headlight loop on old connections. red wire on harness should also be taped up, as you are going direct to battery positive via fuse 15 amp minimum.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  I'd tape up and bury the white/green and white/red wire - likely went to headlight loop on old connections. red wire on harness should also be taped up, as you are going direct to battery positive via fuse 15 amp minimum.
                  Thanks for the doublecheck. Has new stator and rr but output has been iffy. Wanna clean it up and recheck. thx

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                    Thanks for the doublecheck. Has new stator and rr but output has been iffy. Wanna clean it up and recheck. thx
                    Yep, added the fused link to battery for the positive, and capped unused harness wires, wired stator directly to rr and BOOM....charging is looking good.
                    Before volts would not rise to sugggested levels when rpms increased, now they rise up into higher range with rpms at 4500 . volts measured at battery at idle are even higher then before.
                    This simple "rewire and cleanup" is a major thing I see.So far so good. How did Suzuki miss this?

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      How did Suzuki miss this?
                      C'mon give them a break, your bike is ~30+ years old.

Comment

Each stator leg outputs aprox 8 amps maximum, so the charge rate through the RR could be as much as 24 amps. In average running, with the lights on, the bike will consume about 16 amps. I always used #14 gauge wire between the RR and the battery connection and a 25 amp fuse.
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                        X