Dyna-s Coil Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna-s Coil Mod

i'm looking into to doing a coil mod on my 79 GS550. i've found a tutorial on Basscliff's site, but it seems to skip on a few details im a little hazy on. does anybpdy know of a good writeup on the process? ive seen the one for a stock ignition setup and see the basic idea but i want to make sure im doing it right!

What would you like to know?

Comment

No write up, but it's dead easy.

Battery to fuse to relay. Then follow the relay graph to connect the coil wire and the Dyna, tie in the main switch, and connect the ground. There aren't really any details to sweat here.

The only thing the Dyna adds is another hot line to power the ignition. Without the relay, you splice that into the coil hot or the running light. Since you are cutting into the coil feed, adding the Dyna is nbd.

Bass cliff has a good tip. Pair up your connection ends so you can bypass the relay if you need to change things on the road. Make sure the Dyna is on the other side of the bullet from the relay. If the relay fails or you blow a fuse, being able to switch bullets back to stock ignition wiring helps.

Double back through the BCliff guide. If you have specific questions, fire away.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Hi,

There are several articles on my site about the coil relay mod. Be sure to read them all. Perhaps something will help it all fall into place. It really is a simple operation. What do you need in particular?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

ok, so i started today, i have my 85 grounded and 30 running to my solenoid with an inline fuse. on my bike, the wire that runs up to the killswitch is orange, but the PO already put a dyna-s in, and had a splitter from the Red of the Dyna to the orange . i put the 86 right in before the split from the dyna. i tested the battery, its 11.7, and my 87 wire is 11.7, but when i hit the killswitch it doesnt kill the power. im confused as to where i splice the 87 in. i see the solid orange runs to the switch, and on the killswitch it splits to orange wires with white stripes that run back through the harness to the coils. should the 87 from the relay kill when i hit the switch?

Comment

im also using a 5 blade relay, with 2 87 prongs

Comment

30 goes to the battery or solenoid and has a 10A fuse in line.
              85 goes to ground.
              86 goes to one of the coil 12V wires (orange w/white stripe).
              The other orange w/white stripe coil wire gets unplugged.
              87 goes to each coil where the orange w/white stripe used to connect.
              If the relay fails, reconnect the orange w/white stripe wires to each coil.
              There is no need to cut any wires at all.

Comment

well, i had a beer and figured it out, jsut got back and saw your post. i connected both orange and white coming back from the killswitch to 86, and then wired 87 to the coils, splicing both orange wires. i guess i could just carry a backup relay and fuses if it fails. does that sound like it should work? im getting full voltage at the coils, and ran the other 87 slot to my Dyna-S, but my battery is crap i guess. when i crank it over, the battery drops from 11.3 down to 5, until it hits 0, but my coils and ignition are all getting the same voltage as the battery

Comment

Yes, that will work. A backup relay is always a good idea, as are spare fuses.

Edit: What do you mean when you say you ran the other 87 to the Dyna-S?
                  If you are talking about the 5th terminal on the relay, that will never work. The 5th terminal, 87a, is only active when the switch is off. When you turn the bike on, 87a becomes inactive and 87 becomes active, so your Dyna-S will never see 12V so the bike will never start. My bad, I misread your post last night (long day).
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM. Reason: Corrected my misunderstanding about the 2nd 87 terminal

Comment

Working...
                  X