GS450 kick start question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 kick start question

I was all ready to buy a GS450 (I think it was the "L" model) today. It turns out it was kick start only, no electric starter. But I didn't buy it because I had such difficulty getting it going. My technique certainly isn't good and maybe that was the problem. It didn't feel that the compression release lever was doing anything. Not sure if that was working or needed adjustment. I'm kind of "kicking" myself for not getting it. It was $800 and the bike had low mileage 5300, from 1980. a few questions:

a) Has anyone heard of the GS450 models coming in kick start only? I'm wondering if this bike was modified or it came like that
    b) Anyone offer some advice/instructions how to nail the kick start? I know my technique wasn't good. But I don't know what to do better.

The owner (who weighed 100 lbs more than me) was able to get it started relatively easily. I was struggling and I ended up not buying it. The bike was sweet otherwise. Any advice?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2012, 03:16 AM.

I was not aware that a 450 even came with a kick starter. Virtually ALL GSes lost them for the 1980 model year, which was the first year the 450 came out.

I could be wrong, and probably am, as I do not claim any expertise on the twins.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The pre 1980 400 / 425 was a kickstart, but not the 450.

Might well be a 400 / 425 engine or bottom end in a 450 chassis, but definitely not a true 450.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Compression release lever? On a small twin? Really? Didn't know they had one. I'm not a GS twin expert either. I want one, haven't found it yet.

OK. Hard starting has it's usual causes, whether it's kick start or electrical. Stuff that needs to be fixed anyway. Valve adjustments, goofed up carburetors, that sort of thing. If it has a kick starter, it's old enough to have a points ignition. Although they are very simple, a lot of folks these days don't maintain them at all.
        And if you are kicking it you are doing it wrong, it should be called a "push with your foot" starter.
        Pull the choke, close the throttle, push it through, it should start. ONce it's running close the choke some so it doesn't rev so high.
        Not sure abut the twins, but on the fours you can easily kick start them cold or hot with one hand if everything is adjusted and working correctly.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Does this look like a GS450?

There's the bike:

Comment

Might be a 450, but it's not a GS, it's a thumper hence the compression release.

Comment

I can't find that bike anywhere. Looks like 4 valves, single cylinder, peanut tank, dual shocks. Almost like a mini-Marauder.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Could be that 650 thumper, can't remember what it was called, really boring bike.

Its a lot newer, though, like 2000 something maybe? No, that can't be it, it was electric start.

That one does look older styled.

Comment

I think you should buy it and then tell us all about it.

We hate not knowing this stuff.

Comment

I want to go buy it. But I can't reliably get it started. It stalled in traffic when I was test riding it...made for some problems...

I have a feeling the compression release wasn't working. I'd pull it in, but it didn't seem to make the kick start lever any easier to push down.

I'm sure it's part my technique. Anyone have any tips on these matters? I've done a couple google searches with some useful info, but no stellar resource. Some resources have mentioned finding TDC, and then push it hard, but I'm not sure how to interpret all of it...

Comment

It may be like the DR 350:

Pull the compression release lever, it should stay in...
                      If it won't stay in move the engine slowly with the kickstarter until it does stay in...
                      Push the kickstarter slowly until the lever snaps back out, stop pushing...
                      Let the kickstarter back up to the top and give it a good hard try from there.

Sure it's only a 350, but to start the engine without using the compression release risks breaking the engine case around one of the bearings. Then the engine is toast. Use it every time. Your engine may be the same in this regard.

Comment

Hi,

Is that a Suzuki Savage? I thought they came in 400 or 650cc thumpers. Definitely not a GS model. Here's the "mega-welcome" anyway.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It could be a GN400...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I think that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              It could be a GN400...
                              I agree, looks like around a 1980 wire wheel model. Wonder why he calls it a 450?

Starting procedure is about 2/3 the way down: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299239

Starting procedure (copied): As for starting the bike, here is the ritual:
                              1) Key on
                              2) Set kill switch to RUN
                              3) Set choke
                              4) pull decompression lever (it should stick in)
                              5) slowly press kick-starter only until level pops back out
                              6) return kick start lever to the top
                              7) smoothly kick the bike and it should start right up
                              8) then re-adjust choke
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2012, 07:02 PM. Reason: corrected instructions

Comment

Working...
                              X