Reasonable quality crimp tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasonable quality crimp tool?

I've been looking over the offerings on this website. Generally nice stuff, maybe a bit pricey:

The crimp tools are definitely nice, if I intended to use them regularly for years on end. I need to make a good, solid connection on a very occasional basis -- typically in spots where solder wouldn't look so good, or would result in too bulky of a connection.

I do like the closeup photos of the crimp results at the bottom of the page. I don't need to make a hundred of them, though -- just a dozen or so. I need to install some male bullet connectors I can trust.

I really like his H4 relay kits, too -- probably a terrific idea for bikes as old as ours. I could piece a kit together for less, but it's not a bad way to go.

I'm sure someone has found a more reasonably priced tool that gets the job done.
    Last edited by robertbarr; 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

I got mine from Vintage Connections (www.vintageconnections.com) for not alot.

RTL Crimping Tool

Ergonomic Ratcheting Crimping Tool (with instruction sheet and standard open-barrel die set) - $35.00

You'll find a picture of it on the home page of their site. They also sell other dies but I haven't bought any yet.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I don't have a good criimper like any of those yet, but the one I have had my eye on for some time is the one that Cowboyup mentioned.

I, being the kind of electrical guy that I am, also plan on getting the complete optional die set to be able to handle virtually anything in the way of a crimp.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
        I've been looking over the offerings on this website. Generally nice stuff, maybe a bit pricey:

The crimp tools are definitely nice, if I intended to use them regularly for years on end. I need to make a good, solid connection on a very occasional basis -- typically in spots where solder wouldn't look so good, or would result in too bulky of a connection.

I do like the closeup photos of the crimp results at the bottom of the page. I don't need to make a hundred of them, though -- just a dozen or so. I need to install some male bullet connectors I can trust.

I really like his H4 relay kits, too -- probably a terrific idea for bikes as old as ours. I could piece a kit together for less, but it's not a bad way to go.

I'm sure someone has found a more reasonably priced tool that gets the job done.

I got this one from harbor freight ... It works well for me, and you can't beat the price ...

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
          I got this one from harbor freight ... It works well for me, and you can't beat the price ...
          that looks pretty good regardless of the price

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post

Those are very nice crimpers, but like you said, very pricey, I think I saw a similar one to the first one on the page(blue handle) at either H-depot or Sears, and at about a third the cost, I believe it was made by channel lock, just don't remember exactly where, not much help, but maybe a google search will find it.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
              Well, I looked around, and this one was just tough to beat! It's not warm enough to ride to a HF today, so I just ordered the thing.

Thanks for the tip! I'll report on its functionality after I figure out how to use it properly.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
              X