after market brakelights flashing too fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after market brakelights flashing too fast

Hey I have a question for ya. My wife got me a a pair of streetfx elctro brake pods http://www.streetfxseries.com/brake-electropods.html for my bike.(2004 kawi zzr1200) they are little one inch rectangle pods that have 8 leds in each and flash when you apply your brake lights. Here is my problem . at 10 or 11 volts that i have at the brake light with the motor off they flash perfect. as soon as I start the motor and even at the same 11.8 volts ( I had everything on, heated vest, gloves, highbeams gps, satellite radio and brake lights) it now flashes way too fast, almost like a twinkle.. as soon as I shut the motor off it flashes normal. I called the manufacturer and they sent me a "noise filter" and when i put that inline it slowed the flashing down a tiny amount, but nowhere near enough . any idea of what i could put in line to slow the flashing down while the motor is running? ..........thanks .......skip

How good is your ground?

Comment

Head to Radio shack and get a pair of diodes ( 1 amp, 50 PIV ) and experiment. Put in series with wiring to your pod lights (observe forward polarity)- each diode will drop voltage by about .6 volts. One might be enough, but three might be required. But might flash real slow or not at all when engine ain't running.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
        How good is your ground?
        I grounded them right to the battery after using a frame ground the first time. same results

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Head to Radio shack and get a pair of diodes ( 1 amp, 50 PIV ) and experiment. Put in series with wiring to your pod lights (observe forward polarity)- each diode will drop voltage by about .6 volts. One might be enough, but three might be required. But might flash real slow or not at all when engine ain't running.
          checke on their website found 1 amp diodes but could not find 50 PIV? whats it stand for?

Comment

The device is suspect, but if it is good at 10.5V then maybe a simple regulator to keep the input voltage to the "pods" woudl work even when you rev the engine and the voltage goes up.

This is a simple device using also using a diode but it wll regulate to the specific voltage.

BZX79C10
            BZX79C11
            pick something like the BZX79C10 or 11 (rated at 500mWatts)
            and a 30 ohm (use at least a 1 Watt resistor)

I played with the values for voltage ranges between 10-15 volts and you will have to be careful with both the diode or the resistor getting hot.

using a 10V zener and 30 ohm resistor there should be enough current to the two flashers by 12.5 volts

@15.5V P_Diode is 0.8Watts and P_resistor is 1 Watt
            @16.0V P_diode is 1.0Watts and P_resistor is 1.2 watts

if you make one device for each pod then the Power values drop in 1/2 and the referenced devices might just work.

Last edited by posplayr; 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Seems like a lot of work for devices that should be designed to work at a nominal 12-13v.

I'd say they're defective.....

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                Seems like a lot of work for devices that should be designed to work at a nominal 12-13v.

I'd say they're defective.....
                It is a gift from the wife.......

Comment

Well, putting two diodes in series just caused the lights to dim with no effect on flashing- science can be cruel. This gizmo must be picking up on charging pulses and getting upset. Does this bike have a car type alternator or just a permanent magnet rotor/stator system? In the good old days we used to put noise filters on power feed to radios to eliminate static from the charging system. You would think the Chinese might have tested it, but maybe this unit is defective.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Well, putting two diodes in series just caused the lights to dim with no effect on flashing- science can be cruel. This gizmo must be picking up on charging pulses and getting upset. Does this bike have a car type alternator or just a permanent magnet rotor/stator system? In the good old days we used to put noise filters on power feed to radios to eliminate static from the charging system. You would think the Chinese might have tested it, but maybe this unit is defective.
                    its called a generator when you look up the parts for it, but it kinda looks like an alternator. the manufacturer sent me a tiny noise filter to slow the flashing but it did not help, if it slowed it at all it was a tiny bit. I saw radio shack had rectifiers that worked in the 12 volt range but now I am not convinced its a voltage problem. Today i am going to take my battery jump box and hook up the flashing brake pods to it directly. I know that can be charged up to 13.8 . if it flashes normal at 13.8 from the battery jump box then I have to rule voltage out as an issue and concentrate on interference or defective parts

Comment

Hey, I like your thinking! you could even add a D battery in series with the jump starter to boost voltage into the 15 volt range to test.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

its not a voltage issue, I had13.5 with the charger on the battery and they flashed normal. I un hooked the charger, started the bike, and at 12.7 they flash crazy fast . I am stumped

Comment

Never thought I'd hear Skip complain about something being TOO fast ...

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                            Never thought I'd hear Skip complain about something being TOO fast ...
                            so true

Comment

Originally posted by skip View Post
                              so true

If it's too fast, you're too bald ... I mean old!

Comment

Working...
                              X