General Ignition Problems on GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Ignition Problems on GS750E

I have an GS750E that has not run for 16 years. I have honed cylinders, cleaned the cumbustion chambers, did a valve job, dissassembled carbs and cleaned them, put on new intake boots but it still does not run well. I took off a plug and placed it against a head bolt while cranking and got only a small orange spark instead of a fat blue one. Both coils have the same weak spark.

Any suggestions on where to start? Clean ignition system switches, replace coils, new plug wires, new ignition module (if so which one i.e. which brand), etc?

Plugs are new NGK's with the right thread diameter, right thread length, right gap and right heat range so I doubt those are my problem.

Battery is new and is kept charged by a maintainer.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM.

What voltage are you getting at the coils? If it is less than 12V (key on, engine off) consider doing a version of the coil relay mod to raise the voltage at the coils. There are as many versions of the coil relay mod as there are GS models, so take your pick. I just did one to an 1100E and voltage at the coils jumped from ~10V to +14V, a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
    X