cleaning bullet and spade connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning bullet and spade connectors

How do you do it? A friend used jewelers files, but doesn't remember where they came from.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Spray stuff called Mechanic-All, sold at fry's Electronics among other places. Squirt some in, work the connectors in and out a few times, good to go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Get a bore cleaning brush for a .17 caliber rifle. It's just right to clean barrels. Then roll the barrel between your finger and thumb to tighten it up a little. The males can be cleaned with a piece of scotch brite pad. Hope that helps.

Buddy
      Last edited by Buddy; 04-30-2012, 09:16 AM.
      09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
      83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
      81 GS650G for the wife.
      82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
      I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
      If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
      Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I prefer a tiny wire brush to a file.

The nearest Frys is 80 miles from here. Maybe the next time I make it to Indianapolis.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

i use pb blaster on them and work them a couple times. then a coating of dielectric grease to finish up.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Wasn't there a thread on the virtues of using vinegar to soak them in over-night working well?

Eric

Comment

It was me that had just soaked the connectors on my wiring harness overnight in vinegar..next morning all i did was swab them with Qtips and rinse in water. Nice and shiney as new.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The best wiring cleaner is Caig De-Oxit contact cleaner, and Caig De-Oxit Gold sealant. Radio Shack sells it in tiny little spray cans, but if you want to do the whole wiring harness, get 5 oz cans from Amazon or a good electrial supplier. It's expensive but worth it, about $17 a can, and it lasts a long time.

Also, you can use undersized needle-nose pliers to disconnect the bullet connectors so you don't put unnecessary stress on the wires.

Comment

Yeah, we had a thread about this not too long ago. My last time I used Naval Jelly in a baby food jar. Soak for 5-10 minutes, followed by a vigorous water rinse, WD-40, brake cleaner, then dielectric silicone compound.

Vinegar should work just fine as well, though it may take longer (but not be so hard to clean!). Some dilute acid would be required to reverse corrosion, rather than just clean "dirty" connections.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                    Yeah, we had a thread about this not too long ago. My last time I used Naval Jelly in a baby food jar. Soak for 5-10 minutes, followed by a vigorous water rinse, WD-40, brake cleaner, then dielectric silicone compound.

Vinegar should work just fine as well, though it may take longer (but not be so hard to clean!). Some dilute acid would be required to reverse corrosion, rather than just clean "dirty" connections.
                    Once cleaned with acid (eg navalmjelly) I flow some solder into the joints

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Once cleaned with acid (eg navalmjelly) I flow some solder into the joints
                      yeah i like that idea. i never really trust the squashed connection. do you use a soldering iron or a little torch. (sorry to butt in on yer thread mess)
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                        yeah i like that idea. i never really trust the squashed connection. do you use a soldering iron or a little torch. (sorry to butt in on yer thread mess)
                        I use a soldering iron; the crimps need to be clean in order for the solder to adhere.

Comment

Soldering connectors isn't butting in here. The goal is getting connections to be tight and have low resistance, and stay that way.

Trying to find a local dealer for Mechanic-All led me to its manufacturer's web site:

cramolin, contact cleaner, DeoxIT, contact lubricant, Hand Shield, CONTACT ENHANCER, electrical contact cleaner, RID-OX, terminal cleaning, Nutrol, contact cleaners, contact lubricants, oxidation, gold wipes, De-ox-it, De-ox-id, PreservIT, CaiLube MCL, gold guard, stabilant 22, CRAMOLIN, WD-40, Kontaktspray, Kontaktsprays, corrosion, ProGold, conductivity, contact enhancer, solvents, contact cleaner, enhancers, contact lubricant, cramolin, deoxit, progold, CONTACT CLEANER, preservit, cailube mcl, CONTACT CLEANERS, rid-ox,

Some of their products seem to have been designed for what we are trying to do. They claim that their products not only clean several kinds of corrosion, but also leave a film to protect the contacts against oxidation.
                          sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                            Soldering connectors isn't butting in here. The goal is getting connections to be tight and have low resistance, and stay that way.

Trying to find a local dealer for Mechanic-All led me to its manufacturer's web site:

cramolin, contact cleaner, DeoxIT, contact lubricant, Hand Shield, CONTACT ENHANCER, electrical contact cleaner, RID-OX, terminal cleaning, Nutrol, contact cleaners, contact lubricants, oxidation, gold wipes, De-ox-it, De-ox-id, PreservIT, CaiLube MCL, gold guard, stabilant 22, CRAMOLIN, WD-40, Kontaktspray, Kontaktsprays, corrosion, ProGold, conductivity, contact enhancer, solvents, contact cleaner, enhancers, contact lubricant, cramolin, deoxit, progold, CONTACT CLEANER, preservit, cailube mcl, CONTACT CLEANERS, rid-ox,

Some of their products seem to have been designed for what we are trying to do. They claim that their products not only clean several kinds of corrosion, but also leave a film to protect the contacts against oxidation.
                            You could probably just put the connections into a can of Coke and it would clean up the connections like it would make a penny shiny. Wash and solder. If the connections are bad enough you should just replace as the crimps are the worst part.

Comment

Working...
                            X