No announcement yet.

Starter spins, but not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, sir. I was really intimidated by this one, but once I understood how it had to work...not all that bad.

Comment

Good for you, did you end up buying the rebuild kit in the link I sent? Now your an expert, Can I and everyone else send them to you in the future
      There easy...kinda, not a lot of fun, but gratifying when it works as it should.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
        Good for you, did you end up buying the rebuild kit in the link I sent? Now your an expert, Can I and everyone else send them to you in the future
        There easy...kinda, not a lot of fun, but gratifying when it works as it should.
        Pretty sure it was the same kit, but a different vendor. DB Electrical, an Ebay vendor, had them for $26 and free shipping. Located in TN, so I figured the shipping wouldn't take long. Ordered by phone right before they closed on Friday. Spoke to a real nice guy--knew his stuff--and had the kit on Wednesday.

Any starters sent to me will likely be donated to Goodwill.

Only tricky part was figuring out how the springs work to hold the brushes in place. I remember you said something about toothpicks in reference to putting the brushes in, but never did figure out how/where you must have used them.

Comment

I'm having the same issue with my 450 starter is making a spinning sound but isn't turning the engine over. Does all the gs bikes use the same starter and would the rebuild kit discussed earlier in this thread work for me? If not anyone know of one that will work BTW its a 81 450. Thank-you all

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidcool View Post
            I'm having the same issue with my 450 starter is making a spinning sound but isn't turning the engine over. Does all the gs bikes use the same starter and would the rebuild kit discussed earlier in this thread work for me? If not anyone know of one that will work BTW its a 81 450. Thank-you all

I'll have to let other 450 owners chime in on compatibility, but if it's the same starter then the kit can be used, I know mother suzuki used these starters on a lot of different bikes

Comment

Okay kool waiting for other 450 owners to chime in thanks old skool. So was it the brushes that give out or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidkool View Post
                Okay kool waiting for other 450 owners to chime in thanks old skool. So was it the brushes that give out or what?
                pretty much, all carboned up as well.

Comment

Two of the brushes were completely destroyed in mine. Completely carboned up as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X