regulator/rectifier swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regulator/rectifier swap

hey all, I am swapping my old r/r system with the Electrosport unit. I'm kind of a newbie with this sort of stuff and just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing. The Electrosport webpage had some usufull information pertaining to this swap, I just need some expert eyes so I don't burn anything up

First pic is the stock set up, the three wires poking out from my fingers all come from the rectifier (red, yellow, white/red and white/blue), the ugly dirty connector on the bottom lead to the regulator:

Here is the replacement unit, (3 yellow, 1 red from the unit)

so, as it sits in the picture above, and I connected each wire should it funtion correctly? as in red-red and the 3 yellows connecting to the rest of the wires? the wires on the Electrosport are all yellow and not labeled

thank you fellow experts

Is this the 78 gs750 ? ( put in your signature to aid us old folks). Did this bike have a seperate rectifier and regulator? Your new unit is a combo R/R. Find the three output wires from stator ( follow them back to make sure) - these 3 wires get connected into the 3 yellow wires on R/R in any order. Make sure you get rid of headlight switch loop if you haven't already. The red from the R/R is the positive feed into the harness, or you could wire direct to battery positive via 15 amp inline fuse. Doesn't this new unit have a ground lug? Hopefully yes, so make sure your ground lug has good contact with battery negative- run a wire if you have to, as this is critical.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It is the 78' gs750' indeed, the regulator and rectifier are two different housings from the factory, this unit replaces both. There is also a ground connection (not pictured) that goes strait to the battery terminal from the new unit. The white/green runs to the harness through the system and comes back as white/red, correct? If I were to cut that loop out by directly connecting the white/green wire to the unit, what happens to the white/red?

Comment

Everything you need to know and do is detailed here.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Any extra wires that are left unattached in your main harness, just cover them up really well with electrical tape or better yet shrink and wrap. It will take you 20 minutes to do the electrical wiring improvements and your bike will charge better than it ever has.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Tape the red/white wire up,bury it, and enjoy better charging; Make sure you test output - do you think you have original stator?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

Since yours is an OEM-style 5-wire unit, disregard the black "sense" wire in the diagram below.

Connect the three output wires from the stator directly to the three input wires on the r/r unit. Connect the r/r ground wire directly to the negative battery terminal. Connect the output wire from the r/r into the harness connection (that goes through the fusebox) or connect it directly to the positive terminal of the battery through an inline 15 amp fuse assembly.

Check out the electrical section of my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X