Battery suddenly dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery suddenly dead

Recently bought a '78 KZ1000 (I know, not a suzuki), and I have rode it every day since I bought it.
    Today I started it (no issue or lag) and rode down to my coffee shop and was there for about an hour and went to leave and the battery was completely dead! No lights were on or anything...not even the neutral light was on or headlight. Nothing was left on or anything like that. I tried to pop start it, but no success.
    Do you guys thinks its just a dead battery? I just found out that it was odd it was completely drained in that short amount of time. Thanks guys!

I dunno if your KZ is the same as a GS butttt, did you have the key in the parking position? It will kill the engine but the tail light will be on (like when the headlight is on but no brake applied).

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
      I dunno if your KZ is the same as a GS butttt, did you have the key in the parking position?
      It will kill the engine but the tail light will be on (like when the headlight is on but no brake applied).
      That ^^^^
      I did it ONCE myself.
      I will NEVER make that mistake ever again as long as I live and longer.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        I dunno if your KZ is the same as a GS butttt, did you have the key in the parking position? It will kill the engine but the tail light will be on (like when the headlight is on but no brake applied).
        Kz's are the same, but it wasn't in the parking position, everything was normal...that's why it seems so odd to me. It wouldn't kickstart over either.

Comment

I'm sure the tests in "The Stator Papers" will work just fine on a Kawasuki.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Could be a dead battery, as in it's kaput....melted plates or something of that nature ?

Try charging the battery and see if it holds a charge

Comment

Hi,

It could be something simple. I've had this behavior from a loose terminal on the battery. Check connections and wiring, charge the battery and have it load tested. Continue as necessary (i.e. Stator Papers).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Update:
                Charged the battery. It is holding a charge and such, but still no luck.

Is there a chance that this could be something in the ignition?
                Ive checked wires and everything appears to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by aGUNS View Post
                  Update:
                  Charged the battery. It is holding a charge and such, but still no luck.

Is there a chance that this could be something in the ignition?
                  Ive checked wires and everything appears to be good.
                  Have you tried a "quick test", it might help isolate your problem in a systematic way.

Comment

I found my issue. My main fuse was blown. I didnt catch it at first because it didnt appear to be blown at all.
                    I put a new fuse in and rode around for a little bit. Later that night the fuse blew again on me.
                    I've looked at the wires and such and i havent found anything that looks like it would cause it to blow.
                    still checking for bad wire/connections.

Comment

You'll do good to remove the entire harness and really go through it. You'll spend most of a Saturday but it can prove to be the best day you'll have in terms of peace of mind. Do the same with the components so you can get a real close look at all connectors and wiring under tape or heat shrink. I found several issues that way that I'd never have found otherwise.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                      X