Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3ohm vs 5ohm coils dyna ?

Hey everyone,
    I've got my dyna s on order for my 78 gs750. I've tested my factory coils and they check out ok. However, I'm thinking of upgrading my coils to the dyna coils. So, I have a few questions.
    1. Is it worth upgrading? My spark is pretty weak and I'm wondering if it would help.
    2. Which coils would be better to get, 3ohm or 5ohm? If i'm not putting them on my oem ignition and the dyna s can support both.

Is there any kind of performance difference between the coils?

thanks!
    Brett g.

The 3 ohm coils are what are recommended from Dynatek for use with that particular ignition set up. Stock coils are 5ohm, and if you were to retain the stock points ignition, you'd want to stick with 5ohm coils or wire in 2ohm resistors with the three ohm coil power leads. Three ohm (if I remember this correctly) could burn the points out quickly because of the lower impedence. However, since you're using the Dyna S, technically you can go either way. Five ohm would be fine, but three ohm would too. But, if there is nothing wrong with your stock coils, the only real advantage to purchasing new would be that you'd then be able to change out plug wires rather than having to purchase a new coil. The stock coil plug leads are epoxied into the coil, and while some people have had success digging them out of there, the aftermarket ones simply snap in place like a set for a cars distributor cap. This also allows you to choose different wires, even get fancy with it and have them match your bike in colour

Comment

Also, in case you weren't aware, the early 750s used two different ignition plates. Nippon Denso (ND) and Kukosan Densi (sp? Marked KD) You need to order the correct Dyna to match your plate. The plate is usually stamped with KD or ND, and the only reason that I can tell you as to why is simply because the plate itself is different. Make sure you've ordered the correct one. If not, the place you ordered it from (Z1 I hope?) should be willing to swap it out for you, though some places are funny about taking back electronics.

Comment

You won't be sorry if you get the Dyna greens and the 18mm Dyna suppression wire. Some run the stock coils but I never found them a good match with the Dyna-S.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

When you get your new coils, you will also have to get wires and plug caps. Both of them are available in "suppressor" type, but you only need ONE of them in that style.
          If you get solid wires, get suppressor caps. If you get suppressor wires, get solid caps.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X