81 suzuki gs-450 with points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 suzuki gs-450 with points

i have a 81 suzuki gs450 that has points..its been in the building for yearssssss decided i wanted to try to get it running again but one of the points isnt moving when i turn the engine over ..is there a way to adjust this or where could i find new points set to order ?

the points are probably stuck OPEN. sometimes you can move them to get them working again. and lube the pivot with blaster. then of course clean them. if this fails, then time for new ones. ebay is your friend

Comment

one moves good the other one doesnt move at all,did this year come with points or did somebody switch the electronic ignition for points

Comment

Originally posted by tim42220 View Post
        one moves good the other one doesnt move at all,did this year come with points or did somebody switch the electronic ignition for points
        The 80 and 81's left factory with electronic ignition as far as I know.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

To my knowledge 450's came with electronic ignition only, points were on the 76 - 79 400's and 425's.

I have seen one instance where a faulty ignitor resulted in someone retrofitting a set of points to a 450 as the physical dimensions are pretty much identical.

So, either get another set of points from the 400's or 425's or put the correct electronic ignition gear back in.

The ignitors are becoming hard to find in good working order and seem to be quite flakey, so there is an option to put in a Dynatek DS3-3C.

While it's a physical bolt in fit and works perfectly, you will need to run an extra wire for the oil pressure sensor which resides under the timing cover where your points are currently.

The Dynatek guys don't officially support that yet but I have been through it with them and they know it works, but you will need to also get a spacer off them as the rotor on the older 400/425 setup is shorter than the correct 450 one. Mind you, given you have the points there you may not need the spacer...

Oh, and the Dynatek uses the stock advance mechanism, so make sure that is clean and lubed and the weights move freely and springs bring them back in properly.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

whoever had it before me switched it to points for some reason ..so i dont know whats missing for it to be electronic again..but i got both points moving by moving the plate they mount to but i dont know how you would set and adjust it so its in the right position or what the gap should be

Comment

also there is a green wire that screws into a little round place near the bottom of the points area that is cut where does this go to?i had a guy rewire it years ago and he cut that wire never tryed to get it running

Comment

whoever had it before me switched it to points for some reason ..so i dont know whats missing for it to be electronic again..but i got both points moving by moving the plate they mount to but i dont know how you would set and adjust it so its in the right position or what the gap should be
                You'd need to look at the 400/425 sections of the manuals to determine how to set the points correctly, but it should be relatively straight forward.

The other thing with having the points is that the coils will have condensors on them also.

also there is a green wire that screws into a little round place near the bottom of the points area that is cut where does this go to?i had a guy rewire it years ago and he cut that wire never tryed to get it running
                That'll be the wire for the oil pressure sensor I mentioned when talking about the Dynatek.

It should be green with a yellow tracer from memory.

When you turn the ignition on, a red oil light should appear on the dash and turn on once the oil pressure has built up sufficiently. My guess is you don't get that red light, meaning you have no warning if your oil pressure drops.

sigpic

Comment

ok thanks i,ll check it out,it was running with the points years ago

Comment

are the manuals here?i have a haynes repair book but it says nothing about points

Comment

Yup, the Haynes and Clymer are both on BassCliff's site:

sigpic

Comment

when i try to click on the 400 manual from that link it locks my computer up and i have to reboot to get away from it ..i got one plug firing today messing with it but i cant figgure out the wires going from coils to points

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. tim42220,

I don't think your computer is locking up. Those are large PDF files and can take up to 20 or 30 minutes to download depending on your connection speed. It's best to follow the instructions and right-click on the links and "Save as..." to save the file to your computer. Once the file is saved to your hard drive (the "My Documents" folder perhaps?) you can view it as a local document.

Now, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff, I was going to say exactly the same thing, right click and save as

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X