LED blinker tread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED blinker tread

OK, I like most wanted to modernize my bike. I went with a F/R fender chop, Pods, Satin paint, and LEDs. Of course like most I ran into the flasher issue (blinkers don't BLINK!). Well, I have a bit of electriCITY knowledge. So here goes. I bought the cheapo Ebay LED specials. Of course they didn't blink dispite the 552 flasher relay I installed. So I did a little testing. I used an assorted set of incandescent lamps starting from stock down to the little dash lamp bulbs. Well after some trial and error I figured out the ohm load I needed to make them blink. So here it is. You need a pair of 10ohm 10watt ceramic wire wound resistors. $2.19 from Radio Shack. And a 552 flasher $6.99 Autozone.
    Wire the resisters Parallel meaning across the POS & NEG of the LED

552 Flasher

You only need to do the rears and the whole system works.

So for around $10 you can get them working!
    Oh a disclaimer (Will not work for auto cancel setups!)

I will post a vid in a bit!

Oh SUZUKI!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM.

Here is a vid.

Comment

Hi,

I like your ingenuity. I'm running LED bulbs in my signals and tail/brake light. Here's what I did.

Turn Signal Relay Replacement

I use the "superbright" LED 1156/1157 replacements. With the electronic flasher there's no need for resistors.

http://youtu.be/m-J1uwfbuwI

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I had a similar setup. But for the tiny LED blinker swap this is the quickest cheapest setup. I have read your write ups off your website, very good info in there. That is how I got most of the info for this setup.

Comment

How much tread life do the LED blinkers have?
          More miles than the 1157 or 2057 bulbs?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            How much tread life do the LED blinkers have?
            More miles than the 1157 or 2057 bulbs?

Eric
            LOL 100,000 last I looked! Ok maybe 99,952

Comment

Here are my rear signals. Sorry, I can't seem to get the embedding to work... click for a video
              Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

That LED tail light is slick! Can you do a write up and post it here. I want this to be a kind of this is what I did to make it work thread.

Comment

I just got my cool little resistors in from China. And I want to verify I'm about to hook em up correctly.
                  Basically I connect them inline, one side on the pos, and one side on the neg of the turn signal circuits?

BTW, here's the resistors on eBay, just in case anyone cares.

Comment

just get one of these and your LED's will work

can be purchased here

I DO NOT have AUTO Cancelling......

I had to reverse 2 wires, so I could make it plug and play...

see here

Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I recently added some additional LED brake lights and WOW, They blind you from
                      miles away.
                      It's insane, they just pierce threw your eyeballs, day or night.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        I recently added some additional LED brake lights and WOW, They blind you from
                        miles away.
                        It's insane, they just pierce threw your eyeballs, day or night.
                        OK, which ones did you get?

Links?

Pictures?

Price?

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                          just get one of these and your LED's will work

can be purchased here

I DO NOT have AUTO Cancelling......

I had to reverse 2 wires, so I could make it plug and play...

see here

I'm not running LED. I'm using the cheap lights from China.
                          I already have the resistors and I have relays wired for running lights.
                          Everything works fine except the flasher doesn't want to flash consistently.
                          It's like the lights are almost drawing enough, but not quite.

Oh, and my original question.
                          Basically I connect them inline, one side on the pos, and one side on the neg of the turn signal circuits?
                          BTW GateKeeper, thanks for posting that link. It will come in handy for future reference.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                            Oh, and my original question.

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                            By the way, your "original question" was post #9, and was in on someone else's thread, so is not really the "original" question.

But, to answer it, look at it this way. Did you notice the two connections you made for your turn signals? Add your resistors to those same connections, like they were another light.

Maybe this diagram will help?
                            The oval is your LED, the squiggly thing is the resistor.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I suppose "original" was not the proper word to use.
                              Anyways, your answer is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X