what is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this?

I started pulling the bike apart tonight to get the carbs off. i took the airbox off and mounted underneath is some kind of electrical box... and all the wires (4-5) were cut about an inch off the box. It was covered in grease so I couldnt read what it said. Just curious if anyone might know what it is. The bike runs flawlessly other than the sending unit in the tank leaking so I'm assuming it cant be too important but I'd like to know what it is and how quickly it needs to be replaced.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

It's short order and late in most of North America...

that's your Regulator/Rectifier, and without it I don't know how your motorcycle is running anywhere near properly. A PO must have installed a replacement and left the old (apparently non-functioning) one in place.

What model/year do you have?
    Last edited by BigD_83; 05-23-2012, 01:34 AM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

1980 gs550l. I had a feeling that would be the answer. What would a replacement look like/where could it be mounted?

Idk what the deal is but the bike runs perfectly.

Comment

Regulator and rectifier were separate units in the original GSes, maybe someone put in a combined R/R and just left the old regulator there?

I would have thought the 1980 would have had a combined unit from the beginning...

Something for you to check into anyway.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

maybe a pic will help us solve your problem
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by CCC-TT View Post
            i took the airbox off and mounted underneath is some kind of electrical box... and all the wires (4-5) were cut about an inch off the box.
            Originally posted by CCC-TT View Post
            1980 gs550l. I had a feeling that would be the answer. What would a replacement look like/where could it be mounted?

Idk what the deal is but the bike runs perfectly.
            Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Regulator and rectifier were separate units in the original GSes, maybe someone put in a combined R/R and just left the old regulator there?

I would have thought the 1980 would have had a combined unit from the beginning...

Something for you to check into anyway.

tkent02 would be correct. The 80 model Regulator / Rectifier is a single unit, and is also mounted to the battery holder.

I believe what you are looking at is the ignitor (at least that is where the ignitor is mounted on my 550T and was also mounted on my 650E (when I had it)). Being that the wires are cut, you may be fortunate and have been upgraded to a Dyna ignition system. At least that is my guess and 2 cents worth.

Comment

If it's UNDERNEATH the airbox like you said then it's your igniter on the 550s; the R/R is mounted to the side of the battery box. Like asked, post a picture of it though.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Dont have pictures of that yet but I think I've found the R/R you guys are talking about on the battery box. It looks like some sort of heat-sink with about 5 wires coming out of it?

Also, noticed these today if anyone might know what they are?
                (looks to be ignition as the two wires are plug wires?)

...what is this Tan thing?

Comment

Ignition coils, one black and one tan.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

cool, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Ignition coils, one black and one tan.
                      One of my favorite beers- Saranac black and tan from upstate NY
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That other connector looks to be to your left handle switch. It's easy to trace out as it will run along the left side of the bike, up through your triple tree, and to the left grip.

Based on the black crud I see there, I highly recommend you take your harness apart (label everything first) and clean every single one of your connectors with DeOxit. Remove ALL electrical tape from every piece and closely look at your wires; some will naturally be stripped/spliced due to the factory way of doing things so recover those. Check EVERY connector and make sure they are all in good shape. Even one burnt connector will lead to problems with your charging system. Trust me, I didn't do a good enough job with mine when I first got my bike and killed a stator that didn't need to be. Connectors and terminals are cheap - much cheaper than a new stator or R/R.
                        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 05-24-2012, 07:04 PM.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Will Do, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                          X