Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter

I am Having one hell of a time with this rebuild of my 83 GS1100E. I can't get the starter to work. I have brought a new starter, starter relay, and right and left controls but still no start. Need some help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by enelson2047 View Post
    I am Having one hell of a time with this rebuild of my 83 GS1100E. I can't get the starter to work. I have brought a new starter, starter relay, and right and left controls but still no start. Need some help!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Describe what happens when you press button- does your solenoid click, does your starter motor make any noise, do you have clutch safety switch?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Starter

No click just nothing

Comment

Originally posted by enelson2047 View Post
        No click just nothing
        Suspect solenoid not being grounded, or a safety interlock switch. See Basscliff for wiring diagram.Keep your problem in one section to avoid confusing us older folks.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

The starter grounds itself just by bolting it into the crankcase. Make sure it has a good positive connection from the solenoid. Make sure the solenoid has good connections to the battery and from the start button. Make sure the solenoid has a good ground.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sounds like you replaced everything in the starter system. If your starter solenoid isn't even clicking I would check the starter / clutch interlock switch located on the underside of the clutch lever. Make sure you have continuity through that switch when the clutch lever is pulled in. This switch is connected to the little yellow with green (I think?) stripe wire on the solenoid. Be careful if the clutch switch lacks continuity and you decide to disassemble it to investigate. There is a tiny U-shaped copper "slider" in there that easily falls out and "disappears".

Comment

Starter

Hey you may have something there I removed the levers to get them power coated and maybe I lost a part or two. I will look to see But thanks for your help and insight.

Ed

Comment

Hi,

It's easy enough to defeat the clutch safety switch. Just short the wires in the headlight bucket. Then be careful because you won't have to pull the clutch to start the engine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X