seven wire r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seven wire r/r

hello, new memeber here looking for some answers.have a 1980 gs 850 which is of couse having a charging issue cant get over 12.5 volts, been through the stator papersreplaced the stator working good connections clean, so what i am wondering is will a 7 wire r/r off a gold wing work on a gs( two red two green and three yellow)??????

Hook up the 7 wire anyway no change. But then i discovered that if i turn off the headlight and rev it up i get 14 volts. Check out light circuit seems good. Out of ideas? ???? it appears this was converted to a h4 headlight could this be the problem???
    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw View Post
      ... it appears this was converted to a h4 headlight could this be the problem???
      No conversion, it came from the factory with an H4 headlight.

Are both red wires and both green wires connected?

What part of New York are you in? I am back in upstate New York and Vermont for the next few months, if you are close, I can stop by.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes both red and both green are hooked up. I am near hudson ny

Comment

Did you eliminate stator loop to headlight switch- i.e. wire stator direct to R/R ? Replaced stator, was AC test at 5k over 60 volts phase to phase?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

loop is eliminated, stator direct to r/r, new stator, gotta get a tach to verify the output voltage of the stator. tried a third r/r today a five wire honda sh532 if i remember correctly. still the same problem voltage looks good till u turn on the headlight????????????

Comment

Interesting problem

Comment

IS the meter working properly?
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. southpaw,

Make sure all of the charging system connections and grounds are extra clean, even the fusebox connections. I'm using a 7 wire r/r unit on my GS850GT also. I have one green wire going directly to the negative battery terminal, the other green going to my common frame ground. I have one red wire going directly to the positive battery terminal through an inline 15 amp fuse, the other red wire going into the stock wiring harness connector (which runs through the fusebox's 15 amp fuse then on to the positive solenoid terminal, which is connected to the positive battery terminal). The three yellow wires are connected directly to the three stator wires. I pretty much get ~14.5v no matter where the engine is revving.

You'll find a virtual GS850G par-tay on my little website. Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey Southpaw check out this thread.
                    Start at post #23

I had a very similar problem and found I had a short in the headlamp bucket.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by allojohn; 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                    X