Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulse issue

Hello everyone -

For the first time ever, I have a problem with my GS700ES that is getting the best of me.

When I'm going down the road at a steady speed between apprioximately 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, the bike pulses.......like it has a fuel delivery issue.

I checked all the typical things - carbs, fuel, plugs, etc....and everything is OK.

The bike starts great and idles perfectly. It accelerates like new. The only time I have an issue is steady-state driving between 2 & 3 thousand RPM.

An old GS pal told me the back ignition plate is bad, or the springs have worn. The bike only has 12,000 miles on it. He also mentioned a Dyna replacement. I'm clueless here.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

markn

Downshift.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I thought I was the only one "going down the road at a steady speed between.... 2k to 3k " ! If it accelerates off idle and thru this range nicely, I don't see the ignition being the problem. Not much throttle plate openning, so maybe those little holes in slow speed circuit are slightly clogged.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I drainied the carbs last week, and the 6-month old fuel looked quite clean.

The bike was only stored 5 months - I used the new Stabil that is specifically designed for the 10% ethanol / gasoline combo we have in Wisconsin.

Would a heavy duty carb cleaner, or Sea Foam, clean out those tiny slow-spead circuit holes over time?...........I heard that even the best "pour-in" carb cleaner can't clean them.

Is there some type of gas additive out there that can help me?.......can it do damage if used in high concentration, or if it's used too often?

mark

Comment

So is this the first gas after winter's rest? If so, just keep running more gas thru it and make it work harder. Seafoam won't hurt- maybe a couple ounces per tankful , but I doubt it will do much for this minor problem. If this gets worst, you know what you must do, but think positive thoughts.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I added a small bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner last night before short ride. No change yet

Just curious - when you say "make it work harder" are you referring to more throttle opening in a higher gear, or higher RMP in a lower gear?

markn

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            So is this the first gas after winter's rest? If so, just keep running more gas thru it and make it work harder. Seafoam won't hurt- maybe a couple ounces per tankful , but I doubt it will do much for this minor problem. If this gets worst, you know what you must do, but think positive thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Downshift.
              Yup. You are lugging the engine, which is not a good thing. The 700s were designed to rev, and you are just above idle.

Comment

Tom203 suggested that I run it hard - my question to him was if he meant that I should run it in a lower gear with higher RPMs, or a higher gear with less throttle opening, and lower RPMs.

What are you suggesting?

markn

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                Yup. You are lugging the engine, which is not a good thing. The 700s were designed to rev, and you are just above idle.

Comment

Probably he meant give I plenty of throttle from a low rpm up to redline, as opposed to lugging it or part throttle at high Rpms. The idea is to try to use all of the circuits in the carbs so the Lucas can work its magic.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                    Probably he meant give I plenty of throttle from a low rpm up to redline, as opposed to lugging it or part throttle at high Rpms. The idea is to try to use all of the circuits in the carbs so the Lucas can work its magic.
                    Yeah, make the carb work thru its entire range.As koolaid_kid said, 2k rpm is just above idle; some bikes are more sensitive than others at this low throttle opening. My 650 could care less.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by markn View Post
                      Tom203 suggested that I run it hard - my question to him was if he meant that I should run it in a lower gear with higher RPMs, or a higher gear with less throttle opening, and lower RPMs.

What are you suggesting?

markn
                      Did you see the very first response to your original question?

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Downshift.
                      Sounds like a rather definitive answer, to me.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've had several bikes develop this 'problem' and the only consistent factor is the recent installation of a Plexifairing III.

My '82 GS850, my '85 Nighthawk and my '81 GS1000 all run / ran perfectly without the fairiing. As soon as I install that fairing, I'll get a flat spot around 3k r.p.m. on windy or even breezy days.

It depends almost entirely on the direction of the wind. Direct headwind = slight flat spot. 15° angle into the headwind? Annoying flat spot, and occasionally I'd swear I lose a cylinder or two now and then. Once I'm heading around 30° into the wind, the flat spot disappears. Crosswinds never cause a problem.

On the Nighthawk, it's occasionally necessary to drop down a gear. If I didn't know about this phenomenon, I would be concerned and looking for a 'repair'. Perhaps some modification of the intake snorkel would help, but an easier solution is to just twist the throttle a little more and ignore it.

None of those bikes exhibit this without the fairing.

Oddly enough, my '79 GS850 -- almost identical to my current GS1000 -- never had a problem with the same Plexifairing (or any other situation).
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          Yeah, make the carb work thru its entire range.As koolaid_kid said, 2k rpm is just above idle; some bikes are more sensitive than others at this low throttle opening. My 650 could care less.
                          The pulsation issue has finally gone-away.

2 tanks of non-ethanol gas and Sea Foam did the trick. I made it a point to run the carbs through the entire range in an effort to get the cleaner flowing through the obstructed jets.

Thanks for the advice !

markn

Comment

Working...
                          X