Electric speedo/tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric speedo/tach

I have an 83 450l and was thinking about putting a electric speedo on it since the stock cluster is all messed up. What kind of work would need to be done on it to make it work? I have seen some universal fit ones on the net.

I put the base model Acewell 2853 on my 450E and I'm very happy with it. I made a little custom dash/bracket to mount it to so I could keep my gear position indicator and add a single LED voltage monitor as well.

I blanked off the tacho drive from the head with the blank off plate from a later model 1100:

You simply need to have a magnet on the front or rear wheel that passes within 8mm of the speed sensor:

And the tacho signal runs off the negative side of the coil with the provided 10K ohm resistor inline for a good steady RPM reading.

To set the speed, you measure the circumference of your tyre and program it in, then you should be all set.

I'd double check the speed with a GPS to make sure it's accurate before relying on it though.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I would love to do this to my 82 650. where did you get it and what did it cost?

Comment

If you want to go even cheaper, you can use a bicycle speedo which works the same way as the Acewell but are only around $50 or so (for a good one). They are not as large as the bike speedos but they are more accurate.

Just make sure they will record speeds above 55 mph or 100kmph as some of the cheaper ones don't. I used a Cat's Eye Strata and it showed over 120kmph which was plenty for around here.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by darkego View Post
          I would love to do this to my 82 650. where did you get it and what did it cost?
          I got mine locally here:

S3 Performance is one of the leading wholesale suppliers of motorcycle parts and accessories in Australia. Buy now and get your new accessories today!

$179 for the meter plus $19 for the right sized magnetic bolt to suit.

If you're in the US pretty sure they have dealers around the place...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I've seen lots of used clusters for sale on ebay, reasonably priced. You might give that some thought also.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              If you want to go even cheaper, you can use a bicycle speedo which works the same way as the Acewell but are only around $50 or so (for a good one). They are not as large as the bike speedos but they are more accurate.

Just make sure they will record speeds above 55 mph or 100kmph as some of the cheaper ones don't. I used a Cat's Eye Strata and it showed over 120kmph which was plenty for around here.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

I went the same route on my Honda 550. Bought a Cat's Eye, and it worked OK for awhile, but it just wouldn't record speeds over 60mph. It's like it was spinning too fast to pick up the sensor on the wheel or something. It worked great around town though, and it had a odometer/trip meter and a clock which was cool. I really wanted it to work for me. I tried 2 of them before I gave up, sadly.

It's next to the tach, on the left side.

1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
              X