Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to test/repair/replace the starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something else to consider:

where the brush holder plate rests inside the housing, it must be CLEAN, as it makes a ground contact for one of the brushes.. if it is dirty and corroded.. it will not work.

Comment

Yeah I dunno i thought its better to consolidate threads on the same topic. who knows man, these internets are crazy. ill start a new thread instead, tomorrow

and if it matters to anyone, on an 82gs1100GL, you do *not* need to remove the carbs, or the cam chain tensioner, or anything but the starter cover, in order to remove the starter motor.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Did you ever verify that your solonoid was actually working? If you jump from the battery IN directly to the starter and the starter worked but nothing happened when you jumped across the poles your solonoid could be internally fried. Even though it "clicked" that doesn't mean that the solonoid was making any contact internally.

Comment

Actually, if it clicks then it is working.

I would ensure you marked the caps from each end so you know which end goes where. I will admit though even with trying to rebuild it I couldn't get things to work properly and just bought another that did work. Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing how you manage it.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks guys. I would like to go ahead and redirect any new posters to my very nice new thread. And shorting the solenoid's poles with a piece of (conductive) metal would have made the starter turn if the solenoid was broken, which it did not.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Actually, if it clicks then it is working.

NO that is incorrect..

It may indeed be CLICKING but if the contacts are burned, it may NOT be passing the current...

Comment

Working...
              X