charging system clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nhlnms View Post
    checked all the connections in the fuse box too. took out all the fuses and sprayed it down with electrical cleaner and then used electrical grease
    electrical cleaner doesn't get the corrosion out from inside the crimps.

I did a 550 about two months ago. It was at about 0.75V on the positive side. Would not charge above 13.0V.

Removed the back of the fuse box, brushed on naval jelly soldered , voltage drops on positive side was less than 0.1V afterword and it actually charged at 14.5V. No other changes but cleaning connections and grounding.

If that doesnt work , run an inline 20 amp fuse to the battery directly from the R/R red.

Comment

Should the back of a fuse block be seperate on an 82 gs1100? Mine seems like its all one piece

Comment

Was able to tear the fuse block apart but everything was nice and shiny. So I wired it directly to the battery and it's still putting out almost 15v now at idle. There's a place up here in Maine called Maine Cycle Warehouse. It's basically a giant indoor motorcycle junk yard and I'm gonna head up there to see if I can find a cheap R/R. I'll keep ya posted

Comment

Mcw

Been there-good luck!! Quite the collection!!
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by Nhlnms View Post
            Was able to tear the fuse block apart but everything was nice and shiny. So I wired it directly to the battery and it's still putting out almost 15v now at idle. There's a place up here in Maine called Maine Cycle Warehouse. It's basically a giant indoor motorcycle junk yard and I'm gonna head up there to see if I can find a cheap R/R. I'll keep ya posted
            On a GS1100EZ there are crimps in the connector block as well as a oversize bullet between battery and fuse box.

Comment

Ok. I hoping I'm in the clear? I got a R/R from the motorcycle warehouse and it's looking better. Its not charging quite as high but still appears to be off somewhat. At idle it's charging at 15V and when I rev it to 5K it drops down to around 14.5V. Now the "Phase A" chart says I should be shooting for 14.0-14.8V and the manual says 14.0-15.5V. So should I be ok as long as it never gets any higher.I'm a fulltime college student with limited income so I'm trying to do this on the cheap. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X