Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system quit!

Hello,

Well I was riding my GS850L to work yesterday morning and I noticed my cluster light up about two times brighter than normal and go back to normal two times, I really did not think too much about it at first. Then on my way home I had to make a couple stops and could hear the starter sounded a little different than normal. So on my second stop bike would not crank, I had to push it off. When I got home I got my volt meter to double check what I already knew. The charging system went up in smoke, so I logged on to the place of never ending information called The GS Resources.com and found a trouble shooting guide for this issue. I will go home today and trouble shoot to track down the failing part. I just wanted to take the time to say that this site has been a huge help in me getting this old bike up and running. Thank you to all the guru's how help people like me out. Only one day without my old bike and I miss it already. So I am back to riding my GSXR for a while. Anyway have a nice day and thanks again.

Jason

What do you think?

OK, so I printed out the spreadsheet that told how to check the R/R and the stator. From the best I can tell it looks like the stator is the issue. ( not what I was thinking to begin with.) but it is what it is, I never could get the volt meter to read below 423 on the omn reading on the stator I tried all settings on oms. Does this mean I need a better meter? Any other Ideas before I spend the money to replace the stator?

Thanks

Jason

Comment

To check the stator first disconnect the electrical connections, then start the engine and rev to 5000 rpm while check the AC voltage across the various combination of legs. You should see in the range of 70V AC. If you get less than say 60V on any given pair then the stator is bad.

Assuming the stator is pumping out AC voltage the way it should, any charging problems then are either wiring or R/R related.

It's important to make sure the stator is wired directly to the R/R; bypass the factory harness wiring. Then make sure the R/R has a solid ground point; not to the battery box or electrical panel. Go to the battery or frame point. If you do all this and the system is still not charging, the R/R is bad. I don't bother with diode checks and the like, since it doesn't matter why the R/R failed. Just plan to get a new one.

If you need an R/R, get a used Honda version. Tons of threads in the archives suggesting worthy targets. You can pick up good units on ebay for $30 or so. Much better choice than buying some newer made in China R/R.
      Last edited by Nessism; 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Charging System Help

Hi,

I found this stuff on some guy's website. Maybe it will help.

Comment

mine is screwing with me as well! again it takes 3 weeks then battery is dead?!! wtf!
          im gunna look into the grounding issues
          oh btw, new batter and my blinkers work now! wtf!!!, im tired of this crap as well

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
            mine is screwing with me as well! again it takes 3 weeks then battery is dead?!! wtf!
            im gunna look into the grounding issues
            oh btw, new batter and my blinkers work now! wtf!!!, im tired of this crap as well
            Don't get annoyed, do the charging tests! And if you got original suzuki R/R or some mystery aftermarket version, dump it and pick up a used Shindengen R/R .
            Also, doublecheck that nothing's drawing a load when bike is off.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This has happened to me like 5-6 times on my bike. This is want I did. do the charging tests just to confirm the problem, then, buy stator, R/R, Battery and new stator cover gasket. Install and check and clean, or replace any bad connections. Start check system then go ride until it happens again. This last time I found Basscliff's posts and posplars posts and this is what I did. Did the tests. yup everything fired again, so buy new battery, stator, and Compufire R/R, followed their wiring instructions. I also did the new grounds. Battery to engine, R/R to battery and R/R to engine/frame. Cleaned connections and checked when everything was set up. Very happy with the outcome.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Don't get annoyed, do the charging tests! And if you got original suzuki R/R or some mystery aftermarket version, dump it and pick up a used Shindengen R/R .
                Also, doublecheck that nothing's drawing a load when bike is off.
                i checked my stator,and r/r today, and fixed a crappy battery ground, then the blinkers wouldnt work!, the relay clicks but no lights! lol
                r/r i pulled it apart to see whats in it, it smelled burnt crispy,its a bunch of solder and diodes ,and 2 small micro chips

i found a shindegenalinalin r/r lol in the garage, i believe its off a honda, how do you hook it up?! lol it is a 5 wire like zuk but dif colors
                im checking it for ohms now, if anyone knows how to hook it up or where its posted let me know ,and thanks

Comment

RR replacement.

platinum2,

BassCliff has the how to instructions on this thread I will try to add it in this reply. That is what I am going to do to correct mine also, even if my stator turns out to be bad. Anyway good luck and let us know how it turns out please.

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                    i checked my stator,and r/r today, and fixed a crappy battery ground, then the blinkers wouldnt work!, the relay clicks but no lights! lol
                    r/r i pulled it apart to see whats in it, it smelled burnt crispy,its a bunch of solder and diodes ,and 2 small micro chips

i found a shindegenalinalin r/r lol in the garage, i believe its off a honda, how do you hook it up?! lol it is a 5 wire like zuk but dif colors
                    im checking it for ohms now, if anyone knows how to hook it up or where its posted let me know ,and thanks
                    Hopefully, the pic is of your suspect R/R that you've openned up.
                    This shindengen that you found...... any numbers? maybe 3 yellow wires and a red and a green???
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Hopefully, the pic is of your suspect R/R that you've openned up.
                      This shindengen that you found...... any numbers? maybe 3 yellow wires and a red and a green???
                      mine was brown,red/white,2-yel,blk, i assumed the red/white is hot, brn neg, (2-yel,1- blk) are stater, i got 12.45 or so and drops slow /fluctuates at the battery just like my suzku r/r did
                      when i charged my bat i got 13.5 but it started droping slowly with the zuk,and it was burnt! lol

why does zuki need to be at 5k! to test?, does this mean it doesnt charge until then? is this a book flaw,and they never gave lower ratios, honda did wtf lol

Comment

Working...
                      X