No joy with new starter solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No joy with new starter solenoid

I tried getting my 82 750 going the other day, she turned over well enough, though the starter sounded kinda loud to me. Wouldnt catch, which turned out to be a petcock issue. Got that sorted, went to try it again and all i get is a clicking sound. Ok. So i tried a new replacement solenoid, all it does is click louder. ?? The fuses are fine but i noticed the main got pretty hot after a few attempts. I assume it wouldnt even click if the ground was bad. I am thinking the starter, any thoughts?

Check your battery? Also you can take a screwdriver and touch the solenoid bolt on with red cablethat goes to the battery and then touch it to blk. cable on solenoid which goes to starter making contact with both at same time with screwdriver, if it turns over and tries to start could be bad solenoid, but I would check all wire connections and make sure they are clean and be sure solenoid is well grounded, and battery is fully charged. Could also be dirty contact on the inside of you start button. May have to take switch apart and try to clean with at least some spray electrical cleaner. terrylee

Comment

Sorry just saw you tried new solenoid. Try cleaning everything well and check your ground, and check volts on your battery. terrylee

Comment

I tried shorting across both poles on the old and new solenoid and got nothing at all, then tried jumping red straight to the starter with no response at all, which, the more i think about it indicates a pooched starter. I will put it on the charger as well and see if theres a change

Comment

Hi,

Did you put a meter on your battery? It should read more than 12 volts.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sounds like has to be battery or starter. terrylee

Comment

Battery is fine, still only clicks. One more test to do to make sure juice is getting to the starter, but it looks like thats it. Do they make a starter rebuild kit?

Comment

Have a look at this thread it will help you out....

Comment

Yep, found that this evening and have subscribed. thanks.

Comment

Well, lotso juice to the starter so pulled it out. Only visible color inside it was black. Poored about 2 tablespoons worth of black dust out. It was a four brush starter, aren't four anymore! Looks like a simple rebuild though. One question though, the contacts on the armature are all rounded slightly so it's not a smooth round surface for the brushes to ride on, all hills and valleys, should i replace the armature? If so then I am in the market for either a good second hand or a rebuildable starter.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X