Battery not lasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery not lasting

Okay, new problem.. i have replaced the batter 2 times now.. the one that is in is a week old..
    i keep the bike on a charger at night..

i have ridden a about 150-200 miles today and i just parked the bike (had to go to class) and when i went to start it to pull the bike forward a bit.. it had a hard time turning over (the battery is at that point of not enough juice)

SO...

Bad stator?

Go here, scroll down and go through the stator papers with a multi-meter in hand. It's the only way to tell for sure.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

2 questions...

When you put it on the charger do you mean an actual battery charger or a battery tender?

Have you measured the voltage on the battery at idle and at a higher RPM?

Comment

Its a Charger/tender.

and no i have not measured anything i will tonight

Comment

Definitely check the voltage... If the regulator went bad the charging system could be cooking your battery

Comment

I just did this test, so I know exactly how this works. Get a multimeter. Set it to AC 200V. Unplug all three wires that come from the alternator. Test the voltage over all of them to each other. In any given configuration, you should be somewhere in the 70-75 volt range at 5000 RPM. If it is way lower than that, then your alternator is the issue.

If it is good, charge your battery until it is full. A full battery is a must for the next test. Plug your alternator back in. Set multimeter to 20v DC. Start the bike and rev it at 5000 rpm for a minute. While still revving it at 5000rpm, check the voltage across the battery (touch the red wire to the positive terminal, and the black to the negative). It should read somewhere around 13.5 to 14.8 volts. Any higher or lower than that and your regulator/rectifier is bad.

What I just said was the quick and dirty way to check it. This chart is much more detailed and will get you to the correct conclusion, but might take a lot longer to do all the tests.

Comment

Working...
            X