Soldersleeve Vs. Weatherpack??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldersleeve Vs. Weatherpack??

I have an undercharging battery on my '83 GS850G with stock wiring. It will start up with a freshly charged battery but will loose juice and struggle to start up the next time if I turn it off or it stalls. I ordered a new tach cable so I can go thru the stator papers to check stator and RR integrity but for now i'm going to clean and probably replace the wire harness, check the ground, and directly wire RR to battery. 1st, wondering opinions on which route to go with replacing the harness as I don't have much electrical knowledge and am looking for the easiest way. Soldersleeves or Weatherpacks? 2nd, what is the gauge of wire used on these electrical systems? I was looking into soldersleeves but I don't know what size to get to fit my wires. 3rd, do I have to do the headlight bypass if my bike doesn't have a headlight on/off switch?? THANKS GUYS!!

Yes do the bypass. I think that's the reason you bypass it: since there is no on / off switch, there is no reason to run wires up there

Comment

thanks, I wasn't completely clear on that. also, I should connect the stator directly to the RR and the RR neg to battery neg correct?

Comment

Yes that's what is most common and from what I understand the best way to ground the RR. Then make sure the battery neg has a (ground) wire going to a clean place on the engine. Just make sure the battery is grounded really well. You can even put an extra ground from batt neg to frame if you want. This will help RR I believe

Comment

Thank you for the good info, i'm sure this will help my charging situation. How about the gauge of the wires, i've looked thru manuals and can't find info on the size of wire to use? The weatherpacks are sold in different packs of like 10-12g, 14-16g, or 18-20g and I don't want to buy one thats too small or too big

Comment

Working...
          X