Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700ES turn signal flasher location

Hello everyone -

My left turn signal seldom works. When I activate the handle bar switch for the left signal light, the bulb usually will not light-up, and the left indicator on the dash does not come on.

I tried swapping the front bulbs - the left bulb will blink in the right bulb holder, so it's not the bulb.

Thought I would try replacing the flasher/relay, although quick-fixes never seem to come my way !

Where is the signal light flasher located on a 1985 GS700ES?

Any other suggestions?

markn

Under the right side panel near the battery box. You can use a cheap automotive flasher unit to replace the factory one if it hasn't already been.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      Under the right side panel near the battery box. You can use a cheap automotive flasher unit to replace the factory one if it hasn't already been.
      What Billy said or here...

Comment

?

Does my problem sound like a faulty flasher unit? (I hope)

markn

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post

Comment

The flasher only has two wires going into it so I believe both left and right are fed off of the flasher before it hits the switchgear. It's more than likely a loose wire in the headlight bucket or the switchgear needs cleaning.

Sorry, just realized you have an ES so no bucket. The wire for the left side signals is solid black so watch for it coming out of the switch and in the fairing area.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

No, its not the flasher by the sounds of it.

Your flasher is connected to the turn switch and from there it chooses to connect it to the left or the right. Since the right is working then its not the flasher.

Either there is a break in the wire from the switch to the left lights or the switch is dirty or there is a bad connection in the connector that connects the harness to the left handlebar switch assembly.

First thing is to look at the manual. Look at the wires going to the switch.

pull the plug apart that goes to the switch and connect the wires directly there so that the flasher connects to the left. IF it works then, you have a switch issue.

IF it doesn't then you have an issue with the harness.

And if its not either one of those you might have a problem with the grounds on both the left lights.

Use a meter and check for ground and power at the lights when you select left blinker and see what is missing.
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

I will start by cleaning the switch because it sounds easier to do !

Before I attempt to take it apart, I will blast a little contact cleaner between the switch and the housing. If I can get it to blink intermitently, I'll know I'm going in the right direction......especially since I have never taken apart a signal light switch before......

markn

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
              No, its not the flasher by the sounds of it.

Your flasher is connected to the turn switch and from there it chooses to connect it to the left or the right. Since the right is working then its not the flasher.

Either there is a break in the wire from the switch to the left lights or the switch is dirty or there is a bad connection in the connector that connects the harness to the left handlebar switch assembly.

First thing is to look at the manual. Look at the wires going to the switch.

pull the plug apart that goes to the switch and connect the wires directly there so that the flasher connects to the left. IF it works then, you have a switch issue.

IF it doesn't then you have an issue with the harness.

And if its not either one of those you might have a problem with the grounds on both the left lights.

Use a meter and check for ground and power at the lights when you select left blinker and see what is missing.

Comment

If you take it apart you'll have springs and little bearings that serve as stops to watch out for. You may get it to clean up spraying contact cleaner through where the dimmer and turn signal toggle enters the switch.

Comment

Gonna' try spraying it through the toggle switch during my break (I'm at work tonight) - will let you all know if I got lucky !

markn.

If you take it apart you'll have springs and little bearings that serve as stops to watch out for. You may get it to clean up spraying contact cleaner through where the dimmer and turn signal toggle enters the switch.

Comment

No luck sparying it !

I tried spraying contact cleaner through the switch housing, but I had no luck. I suppose I will have to tear-apart the switch. With my limited mechanical/electrical skills, this should be a good learning experience.

I can't complain.......the low speed jets were plugged on my carbs last week, and I was certainly looking at having to remove them for cleaning. Someone suggested using Sea Foam, so I tried it, and after the second tank of gas the problem went away !

markn

Originally posted by markn View Post
                    Gonna' try spraying it through the toggle switch during my break (I'm at work tonight) - will let you all know if I got lucky !

markn.

Comment

I toggled the high beam switch upward and re-sprayed contact cleaner through the small opening.

It worked !

Thanks for the suggestion Billy !

mark

Comment

Working...
                      X