For the lectrical guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the lectrical guru's

Went thru the stator papers.Stator tests good.I had 2 fuses blow,1 to the guages and 1 the main.Replaced fuses the main is fine the gauges blew again.
    I replaced the r/r and jumped ground right to the battery.
    Before this i tested the voltage at the battery and got 14 or so at idle and 17v at 4k rpm.Replaced the r/r like i said and the same thing happens.
    The r/r gets warm fast as do 1 of the stator legs.
    sowhat do i look at now?i don't seem to find this issue anywaher,i have little patience some days,this is one of em.
    oh yah.85 gs1150 with 83 1100 engine.
    Anyone have any ideas?maybe the r/r i put in it is bad also?hm.
    Fuses havn't blown again yet, but i didn't run it very long either.
    Ray said it's the r/r but as i said i replace it and same issues.
    Douse it with k-1 and fire it up?lol

at first start the voltages are normal,then they jump.!stator leg gets hot,and the r/r gets hot. i let is run for a bit and no fuses blow.14.8 at idle,17.8 or so at 3k rpm.

Comment

Let's get down to fundamentals:
      The job of the R/R is to Rectify (turn AC into DC)
      and Regulate (prevent overvoltage).
      That is its sole job. It is Rectifying as you are getting DC voltage.
      It is not Regulating as it should keep maximum DC voltage to around 14.5 Volts.
      I understand it is new. It is not working.
      What brand/model did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
        at first start the voltages are normal,then they jump.!stator leg gets hot,and the r/r gets hot. i let is run for a bit and no fuses blow.14.8 at idle,17.8 or so at 3k rpm.
        The R/R is faulty. The regulator circuit in it is not working. Replace the R/R.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          The R/R is faulty. The regulator circuit in it is not working. Replace the R/R.
          Do I hear an echo in here?
          How's it going, Earl?
          5150/gs, sometimes new parts fail. It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Do I hear an echo in here?
            How's it going, Earl?
            5150/gs, sometimes new parts fail. It just happens.
            Oops, I didn't check to see that you had already said that. LOL
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well i just got back,3 hr ride,no fuses blew, Mind you i cannot shut off my lights as the stator paper suggests while testing, so is this normal for this bike?i knew i shoulda checked all this at the start of getting this bike, to have a baseline.
              Anyway,the fireworks were awesome,i got run off the road and food thrown at me.
              Time to start carrying billy with me again, to implode windshields and provide free dental work i guess.
              But yah after goin thru all the electrical,doing some soldering,and other things,when i hit my brakes the headlight no longer dims.
              The r/r i got is a used one i had lying around,so it is new to me.I used that.
              The Suzuki saga will continue i gues lol.

Comment

Working...
              X