What wiring to order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What wiring to order?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get a shopping list together, I'm planning to re wire the bike, a GSX750 ET, and I need to know what wires to buy, lengths and amps etc. and which type is best as I plan on running as much as I can through the frame. Thinwall Vs Standard etc. I don't mind struggling a bit if it means it will last longer. Help appreciated, thanks.

Through the frame could get interesting.

I have not had a frame apart to verify, but I wonder if there are holes where one tube meets another.

Could make routing just a bit tricky.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I hope there's nothing a drill and a few rubber grommets wont sort! Time will tell.

Comment

I agree with Steve, there may or may not be holes to do "in-the-frame" wiring and any "holes" that do exist will probably have sharp edges Unless your tool set includes dental tools with extensions, I don't think there's a good way to get your fingers in there to do anything about it.

If you still think you can do it, I don't think a build of materials list exists outside of Japan. You can probably approximate what lengths you need by measuring from axle to axle and then doubling it. Wouldn't you want the same wire amp rating as the stock system?

Its been years since I bought any for work, but I've used teflon insulated for 10 amp circuits IIRC. Expensive stuff though--you can find it at your neighborhood military or avionics supply store. Here's some reading http://www.logwell.com/tech/shdwe/teflon_wire.html.

Comment

Yes I'd want stock amp rating. I'll rephrase my question, Is there anyone here that has completely re-wired their bike that can give me a list of the wires they used please? my bike has been worked on by a PO and some wires are crimped to others of different gauges, so it is difficult to know what is what.

Comment

Fair enough. I don't recall exactly, but I believe most wiring is 18 ga and it is available in the US at

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I've looked online and can get bulk (>3 meters, and they'd want you to get 15m+) for the colored wire with tracers. Z1's are reasonable quantities and match up with stock.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be sure to post pics, successful or otherwise!

Comment

I would keep away from Teflon wire for your proposed application. It's great insulation, but it also stretches and compresses to a point where it will conduct through itself. I can just see you pulling the wires through tight frame spaces and wondering why you developed some shorts. I got a nasty hole drilled through my finger in a radar cabinet from a Teflon wire that had it's insulation stretched thin. It's been years but I believe it was labeled -150V B negative. It made getting hit with 220V AC feel like a massage. Running a loom outside of the frame is still your best bet, it's assessable for repair and you don't have holes weakening the frame structure and places for moisture to enter the frame and cause problems.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X