New owner! Need help with 85 GS700e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner! Need help with 85 GS700e

Hey guys. New owner here. I just got a 85 gs700e and I'm having a few problems.
    One is with the main 10a fuse blowing out. I notice it blows out more when I rev over 5k. If I rev it in neutral and it passes 5k, it will shut off the whole bike. While moving, it doesn't happen as often but I'm afraid to go pass 5k or else the bike shuts off while I'm riding.
    Also, the tach stops working around 5k rpm as well. Is it possible the two are related?
    Any help or insight on this? Or links to where I can find the solution? Thanks all

The main fuse should be a 15 amp so that may be the start of your problems. See how much voltage your getting at the battery at about 5k rpm.

Comment

I'm surprised a 10 amp fuse didn't blow at startup. replace and do some charging tests like this link

it's likely that maintenance awaits you
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i have been putting 15a fuses in there. it blew out a couple times during riding and the whole bike shuts off. i will try that link and see how it goes. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 5t341th View Post
          i have been putting 15a fuses in there. it blew out a couple times during riding and the whole bike shuts off. i will try that link and see how it goes. thanks
          Do the tests. The 15 amp fuse is the main that seperates the bike's electricals from the battery- if it blows while bike is running, a functioning charging system will be able to keep bike running , until you shut it off, But the R/R will be dangerously confused.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'd be willing to bet the stator is shorting. Could be the r/r acting up but my money is on the stator. Do the parts of the test that check for shorts to start with. It amounts to sticking one probe in each of the stator wires then touching the other to the stator cover and checking for continuity. If you get a signal you have windings shorting out.

Comment

Working...
            X