Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed handlebars, now it won't start!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed handlebars, now it won't start!!!

Yesterday, I changed the stock handlebars on my 81 GS850G to a superbike bar that I bought from Z1 Enterprises. I have everything remounted to the new bars but know it won't start. Nothing. It won't even turn over. My first thought is that it was the clutch switch contact but that looks fine. It is in neutral. Maybe something fell out of the starter switch/button when I removed it???

Check your ignition fuse in the fuse block & see if it's blown...

If good, then bypass the clutch switch & remove it from the equation by following the leads into the headlight bucket & unplug them from the harness, then simply plug the harness leads into themselves.

MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN NEUTRAL, then see if the bike starts. If not, then you can positively rule out the clutch switch at least...

good luck
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Did you give a look at your wiring CONX's- I had a broken one on the starter about 3 inches down the wire- wasn't obvious. Sounds like my luck-
      DO you have power?

Comment

I have power. Lights,horn,blinkers all work but won't start. There is a brown wire in the headlight bucket that is not connected to anything.

Comment

That brown wire is in a lot of buckets not connected,may be for some accessory we don't have.I would go over all wiring that may have been disturbed by the handlebar switchover.Something must have been disturbed.
          http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
          1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Do I just remove the copper contact to bypass the clutch?

Comment

Don't remove any contacts. It's just wires to disconnect and connect. Go back four posts and follow instructions...

Comment

Originally posted by 47mouth View Post
                I have power. Lights,horn,blinkers all work but won't start. There is a brown wire in the headlight bucket that is not connected to anything.
                There is a separate fuse for the ignition only. It could be blown & all the other stuff will still work...

Make sure all your fuses are good.

As stated earlier, that brown wire is simply a switched 12V lead that's not used.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

So I bypassed the clutch and still wouldn't start. I then followed the wires from the starter switch and felt a void under the black protective sleeve. Opened it up with a razor (gently) and found a break in one of the wires. I will get this patched up and should resolve the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 47mouth View Post
                    So I bypassed the clutch and still wouldn't start. I then followed the wires from the starter switch and felt a void under the black protective sleeve. Opened it up with a razor (gently) and found a break in one of the wires. I will get this patched up and should resolve the problem. Thanks for all the help.
                    OK, you have already bypassed/jumped the clutch switch. Turn the ignition on and with a screwdriver jump the two big bolts on top of the starter solenoid. The bike should crank and start. If it does, the problem is in the starter button or the starter button wires at the handlebar.
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found that one of the wires was broken from the starter switch. I have patched it up with blade type connectors and it now runs again. Need to finish mocking up the Harley mufflers and weld them up then on to the brakes.

Comment

Working...
                      X