Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burning out the high tension side of coils???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning out the high tension side of coils???

Just joined. What a great site!!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem I'm having. I have an 83 gs550es. I picked it up for $50. Got it home, connected jumper cables to it because the battery was dead and it started right up and ran great until I took the ground jumper cable off. So I figure ok, no problem there is a bad ground somewhere. I found that the ground to the engine block was loose. I couldn’t believe how easy of a fix this was going to be, and then it all went bad. I CONNECTED THE JUMPER CABLES BACKWARDS! And the next thing I knew both coils were burnt out on the secondary winding. So my $50 bike was now $130 after buying new/used coils on eBay. I put them in the bike and hooked up the jumper cables correctly this time and........BOTH COILS IMMDIATLY BURNT OUT!!!! From what I've read on this sight I’m guessing that the regulator/rectifier is bad? What are the chances that the ignitor box is bad too? I'm planning on getting a new battery as well in case it is shorted from my mistake. Also could a shorted cell in the battery cause the coils to burn up like that? I would much appreciate any direction anyone can give me.

Never ever run a Suz or any motorcycle with a die or no battery real eats thing up ...

Comment

Never connect jumper cables to a bike battery with the engine on the jumper vehicle running. You never want two alternators working against each other trying to charge the same battery. It will burn up the charging system.

Reverse polarity is a NO NO.
      For sure, you have fried the coils and the R/R. The stator, ignition module, crankshaft triggers and battery are also possible casualties.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I didnt have the vehical running but just the same it sure didnt like the reverse polarity

Comment

Originally posted by travis525207 View Post
          I didnt have the vehical running but just the same it sure didnt like the reverse polarity
          Screw ups happen, its just the way life is I guess. heh Now you know and I'll take bets you will not do that again. unfortunately, they can be costly.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X