Solution found for #2 & #3 cylinders cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution found for #2 & #3 cylinders cutting out

For quite some time, I've been fighting the problem of #2 and #3 cylinders firing sporadically on my 1100G, sometimes not firing at all. I went through the carbs first, completely, it ran great for about 5 miles, then back to 2 cylinders. Next, I replaced the coil with a known good coil. Again, short period of all 4, then back to 1 & 4. I did all the testing in both my Haynes and the Clymer manuals, which pretty much matched what BassCliff had on his site. I didn't test the ignitor with the multimeter since everything else was checking out OK. My 1100G is an '83, it uses a smaller ignitor box than my other bikes, with a different part number. However, all the wire colors matched up with the larger one off my '82 1100GK, so I made up a short harness that would connect the wires properly and now the bike is running right again. I should've done this a long time ago when the problem first appeared. I kept hoping for a magic cure I guess. I had to make a spot for the larger box to mount in, and I'll use it until I order the right one for the bike.

If you have one cylinder or two not firing right, check the ignitor and the spark generators. Mine turned out not to be the spark generators (2 of them on an '83), but the ignitor.

Dan,
    You had occasion to see price on any ignitors?

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Dan,
      You had occasion to see price on any ignitors?

PartsShark is $472 for the small one like what goes in my '83 Suzuki P/N 32000-49420, and $484 P/N 32000-49410 for the large one like I have in the '82 GK, '81 and '80 850s. I didn't check Z-1, their site was down. Sure am glad I had a spare. I ended up mounting it on the flat spot on the swing arm, works fine there. I could've switched a whole bunch of stuff over from the GK, but that was way too much work, considering how much time I've spent chasing this problem.

Comment

Working...
      X