Slow Cranking Starter When Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Cranking Starter When Hot

I've got a 1981 GS850G. When I restart it after riding for a while, the starter barely wants to crank over. If it sits for time it starts right up. I've been told that the starter brushes could be dirty and that might be causing this situation. When the motor is cold it cranks fine and starts right away.

Any ideas?

Dave

I agree. Sounds like time to pull the starter (it's not that difficult once the carbs are out of the way) and check it out.

Comment

Actually, it's quite possible to pull the starter on an 850 without first pulling the carbs or the cam chain tensioner.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by davecycleman View Post
        I've got a 1981 GS850G. When I restart it after riding for a while, the starter barely wants to crank over. If it sits for time it starts right up. I've been told that the starter brushes could be dirty and that might be causing this situation. When the motor is cold it cranks fine and starts right away.

Any ideas?

Dave
        Dave

Another vote for starter, and probably the starter brushes.
        But not so much that brushes "dirty", but worn down so are shorter and then srpings extended to where dont have the pressure required. Commmtator on rotor may need to be cleaned up (with emmory cloth).

Need to pull out starter to see if is Matsuba or NipponDenso starter. One has 4 brush other has two brush.
        If you really really wanted to find out without removing tghe starter, maybe could remove the cover and look around in there with a mirror and see if can find "Matsuba" or "Denso" on the starter. Can get replament brush kits from Stocker Eletric.

What mine looked like a few years ago.

Ada you say. Might you be intersted in meeting up at Muskegon Bike Time for a ride? I understand Bubby is gonna post in Michigan Riders about it.

VintageRiceBurners. I went to one of the get-to-gethers a few years ago (Hudsonville BK). Was 5 or 6 guys there that night. Noone seemed interested in old guy and stock 80 GS850G.

Dave "redman"

Last edited by Redman; 07-10-2012, 08:41 PM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by davecycleman View Post

Any ideas?

Dave
          Mine did that when the brushes (one of them anyway) was worn.

I didn't want to wait or pay shipping, so I found an alternator repair shop who sold me a generic (used) bigger brush for a dollar.

brushes are soft stuff (like pencil lead almost), and its EASY to file them down to size
          (but VERY messy)

Comment

Working...
          X