Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st has spark, the other 3...

1978 gs750

Cleaned the hell out of the carbs when I got her, put an airbox and a brand new k&n filter on her. Take her out for a spin into the city and had her going pretty good cept she wouldn't top out past 60 till she started backfiring. Died on me halfway home, couldn't start it again.

Took her to the garage, she has spark on #1, pretty weak, no spark on the other 3. I'm thinking points, how do I check those with a multi, and what do you think?

I would clean the plugs or better yet, replace them. Then take the points off and take a good look at them for pitting and burnt spots. lightly clean them with a fingernail file and install and regap. Condensors can cause problems as well. If you have some spares around swap them out too. Also, look down into the boots and see if there are "slotted" plug connectors in there. Unscrew them and get rid of those junk ceramic resitor and replace them all with a piece of 1/8 brass rod cut to length. Clean the connections where the coils plug into the harness too.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I got everything except for the "look down the boots" part. Also my brush is pretty gross.

Comment

When you "cleaned the hell out of the carbs", how did you do it?

Did you replace all the o-rings?

Did you bother to check the valve adjustment?

With the engine not running, making sure the brakes work is not so important.

Sorry, but there is a LOT more to getting a bike running than just "cleaning the hell out of the carbs".

And, if you didn't clean them properly, you're gonna have to do it again.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pull a plug cap ( boot ) and look down in there. The slotted cap unscrews and there are resistors under them. Get rid of the resistors and youll never have to worry if they are gonna fail again. Replace them with 1/8 inch brass or copper rod cut to the right length. As for plug cleaners..here is the solution. Clean and use air to blow the media off the ends and threads and they are like new again..just check the gaps and reuse...

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Allow me to reiterate. I did everything to my carbs that bass told me to. So theyre good as they're gonna get. I know these carbs better than I know my mother. I've also learned a ton about carbs in general. Elec... Not exactly my strong suit. Actually none of it is. Feel like a Neanderthal hitting an engine w a club. Make fun machine go vroom vroom!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              As for plug cleaners..here is the solution. Clean and use air to blow the media off the ends and threads and they are like new again..just check the gaps and reuse...

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumat...ner-32860.html
              I have one of those, it works GREAT.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It SHO DO!!!!!

Comment

Also yes I checked my clearances. Everything is spec as far as tuning goes.

Comment

Yes pulled points. Nasty pitted. 35 off z1. Might as well. Chuck are you talking about the resistors in my spark plugs?

Comment

INSIDE THE SPARK PLUG CAPS. Brass slotted thing that grips onto the plug when you shove it down onto the plugs. Flat tip and unscrew them...look at a parts fiche.

Comment

INSIDE THE SPARK PLUG CAPS. Brass slotted thing that grips onto the plug when you shove it down onto the plugs. Flat tip and unscrew them...look at a parts fiche.
                        You mentioned this in prior posts, and I've found it intriguing. I would think those resistors in there would be there for a reason, being resistors they surely would provide a voltage drop. If bypassing them helps, you could just connect the plug wire to the plug directly without the cap to check it out.
                        I did check the parts fiche and it doesn't show the integral parts of the cap other than the boots top and bottom.
                        Items 21 & 22 on this fiche. (Spark plug caps are not cheap!)
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Only EXPLANATION ive ever gotten for the resitors being there is to reduce noise..like if anyones old enough to remember hearing a hum that changed pitch in the AM radio as you pressed the gas in the car type noise. Dale is actually the person that showed me the bad resistor trick because I had lost spark on a cylinder and did all the other tricks such as trim the wire and reinstall the cap, cleaning all the connections, replaced points and condensors..etc etc etc. The problem was still there and a new out of the box plug still was dead. Took the resistors out and got some brass rod and the magic of spark returned instantly. Now the first thing that happens when i get a new project and i am going thru it is the resistors ALL go bye bye...good or not.

Comment

Only EXPLANATION ive ever gotten for the resitors being there is to reduce noise..like if anyones old enough to remember hearing a hum that changed pitch in the AM radio as you pressed the gas in the car type noise. Dale is actually the person that showed me the bad resistor trick because I had lost spark on a cylinder and did all the other tricks such as trim the wire and reinstall the cap, cleaning all the connections, replaced points and condensors..etc etc etc. The problem was still there and a new out of the box plug still was dead. Took the resistors out and got some brass rod and the magic of spark returned instantly. Now the first thing that happens when i get a new project and i am going thru it is the resistors ALL go bye bye...good or not.
                            Thanks Chuck,
                            I would think that without the resistors you would not have a voltage drop and get a hotter spark.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Dont know about that..Maybe ask Dale to chime in as hes the electrical guru. All i know is that they can and will just drop off at anytime, and that "time" is usually not in the driveway. So it doesnt hurt to straight shot them with the brass rod, so why bargain on a potential breakdown that is totally negateable.

Comment

Working...
                              X